1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here is how to do the cheap tie rod trick

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Good deal. Looks really easy to do. Has it honestly made a big difference? I might do this.

PS. I fixed the title of the post for you.

·
Administrator
15,426 Posts
hmm... Ive seen people weld a sleeve over, but never just put one over it and let it fly... seems as though for it to work to it's highest potential it would need to be attached. I could be wrong though.

good work on the vid though.. :rockn:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
it being loose wouldnt it click and clatter i think i would annoy me but yeah if you weld it i dont see what it would hurt overall good info man thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea some people weld it and some people stack washers on them to get them to fit really tight. Yes this works great. My buddy kept bending tie rods on his 07 Brute and after we did this to his bike about 5 months ago, nothing has happened yet. Yes my gingles a little on the trail I may put a little jb weld on the ends to hold it tomorrow

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i bet a piece oh cut off water hose on the ends as spacers would keep it in place and not jingly.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
how common is breakin tierods?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pretty common on a brute force

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
dang ,got me worried about trail ridding,def dont want to break a tie-rod.or is it more common on 29 and larger tires?

·
Banned
384 Posts
I did the same thing to mine ,but, I ground the pipe down a little at a time so I could tighten the jam nuts down onto the pipe and the end still point in the right direction. The tension against the pipe give them more strength,

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
do i need to do this before i go riding or should i be fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its pretty much for bigger tires, but if you hit a hole wronge or something it can happen. You will be fine just remember to be to wild on it befor you do it

·
Administrator
15,426 Posts
Unless your riding hard w/ larger tires you should be fine. The only prob. I had was w/ 29x12's up front, and when I would dip down into a rut sometimes one tire would catch and they would bend...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
like other people have said, i doubt you have much to worry about unless you plan on hittin a buncha big rocks or bumps in general pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Knock on wood I've never had a problem on my Prairie and have been running 29.5's for over two years. I take it the problem is the connecting rod between the two tie rod ends are bending or breaking off in the tie rod end itself?

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
Thats right IBBruin the 'connecting' rod itself is weak, what they usually do is bend near the middle at a nice 45 degree angle. I've seen two personally do it they look like boomerangs.

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
Here's a picture of one

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
adding a sleave over it - does it not hit the 4wd actuator when turned all the way? If I'm not mistaken it does or pretty close to it. Seems like someone did this around us but took it back off cause it was rubbing it.
Correct me if I'm wrong because I may be thinking about something else.

·
Administrator
15,426 Posts
haha... I have a few that look like that.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts