Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so thanks to some great how to's I have removed my carb and want to clean it. I don't want to seperate the carbs, I just want to clean the insides of them.

They shouldn't be to bad, as a friend helped me clean them last year.

Is it ok to take the whole assembly as it is now, and soak it in a parts washer full of varsol?

Then once the outside is soaked and cleaned then I will remove the bowls and clean out the jets using the "lemon juice" suggestion.

Sounds like a good idea?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Take the diaphragms out before you soak them. The cleaner can damage them.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
yeah pull the diaphragms out.

·
7,498 Posts
It's been my experience that varsol and other general parts cleaning solvents are fine for cleaning oils and greases on most mechanical parts but are ineffective for the types of deposits and buildups found in carbs. Carb cleaners and carb vats like Berryman chem-dip are designed to do carbs right. Like FABMAN says though, with any cleaner, all rubber parts must be removed and with Berryman, all plastic parts as well. That means complete disassembly.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I do clean my carbs in my solvent tank but only to get the mud and dirt off. afterwards they get rinsed off with really hot water, and then I clean up with carburetor cleaner.

and by no means am I saying that is the correct way of doing it. a carburetor vat with a completely disassembled carburetor no plastic no o-rings no rubber only metal is the best way I've seen so far. but I don't have one of them.

·
7,498 Posts
I do clean my carbs in my solvent tank but only to get the mud and dirt off. afterwards they get rinsed off with really hot water, and then I clean up with carburetor cleaner.

and by no means am I saying that is the correct way of doing it. a carburetor vat with a completely disassembled carburetor no plastic no o-rings no rubber only metal is the best way I've seen so far. but I don't have one of them.
And...its a major PITA to reassemble after vating. I usually just get a few cans of Gunk spray carb cleaner and flush everything out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts