Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need a little help here. 08 Brute 750 having problems. Making a whining noise in belt housing hearing out of snorkels when in mud and water. Its almost like the belt is slipping. Does it really bad in high range but also does it in low. I have broken a belt and this other belt was damaged when getting it checked on for the second time due to the noise. I have 29.5 laws on it with an EPI clutch kit Red secondary and Gold primary. Talked with EPI and Highlifter and no help with either. Was told by another mudder with the same setup to take the EPI weights off and put stock one back on just leave the springs. Any suggestions? By the way the dealer has no idea and they act like they don't care and this was there install with new purchase at the end of December.

No water or mud has ever been in belt housing>

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
I've heard that about taking the weights out as well.... Maybe start there and see... Whining/squeeling when sitting still is normal, but not while riding.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't do it sitting still. It will whistle sometimes but no whining or knocking like most. My Supervisor has the same bike with the same kit but running 31 laws and he doesn't have this problem.

·
Administrator
15,448 Posts
have you checked belt deflection to make sure its not too lose or too tight? I'm sure you have but... just asking to be sure. And torqued the clutch back to 69ftlbs

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Polaris makes a good point about checking the deflection. Also have you checked the sheaves for damage? If theres a grove burned in one of the sheaves it could cause it to slip as well.

If both things mentioned have been checked and are in good working order then i would start looking at the spring weight combo. Sorry i cant give you solid info in this area since i have never ran 29.5s or the springs you have listed but i do have some idea about how the clutches work. If it were mine i think i would stick with the red secondary but possible try stock weights with a stock or EPI maroon primary spring. Keep in mind that the red secondary is a very stiff spring that will put a lot of side pressure on a belt. This can cause excessive heat to the belt and possible be a problem. With that said most that run the 29.5's really like the EPI red secondary.I think the combo i have listed would give you better belt grip in the lower RPM's. The stall and lighter weights you have now do a good job of keep the engine RPM's up for better low end power but make it hard to keep the belt engaged and gripping good at lower speeds.

Again i will say this is just an opinion.I could be wrong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The deflection is good. The sheaves were checked for damage and checked ok.

Put the stock weights back on and Im going to try that this weekend.

You think I will be better off taking off the gold primary and going with a maroon?

All we do is mud ride, no trail riding.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
If you still have your stock spring you could throw it in there since its easy to do and just see how it does. If you like it with no stall but still what a little more RPM you could get the EPI Maroon. The stall is very close to stock but it has a stiffer shift out rate to help keep the RPM's up.

I'm running the EPI Maroon with the VFJ Stage 3 and have never slipped the belt.But I'm not turning 29.5 Laws either so I cant say honestly how its gonna work for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts