Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sheeves are a little glazed. I read the instructions on here about using fine sand papers to get rid of the glaze. The instructions didn't mention (OR I OVERLOOKED IT), but I have also read that some only sand in a straight line from inside to the outside. Is their a certain way to sand them?

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
It doesn't really matter.. I do it in a circular motion.
Right but, what about cleaning the clutches? :bigok: :bigok: :rockn: :rockn:
:haha:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I read somewhere else that using scotchbrite the cleaning with solvent does wonders. The scotchbrite won't remove as much metal as sandpaper.

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
I used some really light steel wool.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Yep steal wool and brake cleaner will shine it up nicely.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
sweet thanks for posting that :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
nice

·
Team BS
757 Posts
yeah ive got to clean my clutches. they are soaked in oil from an BAD oil leak. still not too sure how im gonna go about it, but this helps

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Normal engine degreaser would work fine too and not hurt the clutches.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use brake cleaner on everything. That's stuff melts grease. I know you also said your belt was soaked in oil too. I would just get another belt. The belt is so porous that it probably would start seeping out when it heated up. Then you would have to start all over cleaning again.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Can you oversand your sheeves?

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure you could if you used coarse sand paper. I would imagine it would be too rough and eat at your belt.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I used 100 grit on friday to get some burnt rubber off and then went over it with 220, put a new belt on rode around yard some this weekend and then hit the trails today and didnt make it far before the new belt failed. Dont know how bad yet, gonna tear it back down tomorrow and C.
I was hopping some willies friday and it locked up in mid air, I mean locked the back end up, in any gear it wouldnt move, limp mode never engaged, I pushed it back and forth and finally the rear wheels broke free. when I got the CVT cover off the belt had broke apart in 3 places and the belt seemed to have turned upside down in one area or twisted maybe you would say??
I know I said all this backwards but its what led up to me useing the 100 grit paper on friday.
Ive had belt issues with this thing since day one and bout at wits end, if I dont figure it out soon..........the match will spark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't see how the belt would cause the rear end to lock up, maybe jamming the secondary where it won't turn. I just wonder if you have other issues. It should not be eating belts up like that. I've got 100 hours on my belt and it is in good condition. Is it too tight or too loose?

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
And yes the back was locked up due to the belt jamming the secondary or so it seemed when I popped the CVT.
Im thinking it may be in the shims and have been trying to read up on it as much as possible. I think tomorrow or Tuesday I will be tearing it down and try taking out one shim. If its not then im stumped and at this point frustrated with the BF.
If I had to guess from remembering what it looked like last time I would say possibly to loose. Ive got a stock belt that has been used but never sent into limp mode, would it be good enough to slap on for measurements?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I used 100 grit on friday to get some burnt rubber off and then went over it with 220, put a new belt on rode around yard some this weekend and then hit the trails today and didnt make it far before the new belt failed. Dont know how bad yet, gonna tear it back down tomorrow and C.
I was hopping some willies friday and it locked up in mid air, I mean locked the back end up, in any gear it wouldnt move, limp mode never engaged, I pushed it back and forth and finally the rear wheels broke free. when I got the CVT cover off the belt had broke apart in 3 places and the belt seemed to have turned upside down in one area or twisted maybe you would say??
I know I said all this backwards but its what led up to me useing the 100 grit paper on friday.
Ive had belt issues with this thing since day one and bout at wits end, if I dont figure it out soon..........the match will spark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My question is what kind of belts are you useing? OEM or Aftermarket? If you are useing OEM then you have other problems, maybe the shaft of the primary or the spiders are bent, it doesn't take much. About the only way you will be able to tell is pull the CVT cover and spin the motor with the starter and watch it. Sounds like to me that is what is happening. Have you moded the clutch any? Just trying to come up with suggestions that might solve your belt problems. hope this helps, keep us posted on how things are going.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Well I have had 2 OEMS, 2 carlisle and 1 dayco fail all together. Only mod is a red spring for secondary.
The belt on friday was the dayco and I put it on when I did the red spring 2-3 weeks ago and have maybe 5-7 rides on it 3-4 of them being pretty hard rides IMO. the belt I replaced the dayco friday with a brand new carlise I had for an extra on hand just in case and it went out today. Dont know how bad yet as I havent pulled the CVT.
In the past I have limped it back to truck and sometimes seen the belt destroyed. Today I had a friend pull me back. Once I heard it and seen the light I never tried it at all but rather turned it off and got towed.
Im wondering at this point should I just take it to the Kawi shop and turn it in and say fix it hopefully under warranty or try to trace it down myself. I have plenty of time on my hands but other then this site no tech experience at all other then trial and error which sometimes gets me into trouble.....LOL

1 - 20 of 46 Posts