Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys got some questions on a clutch setup I ride everything mud water trails mostly mud and water I am running 29.5 /10/12 outlaws with the epi mudders clutch kit and I still have smoked my belt is there something more i can do or is that clutch kit it I know about the heavy thumb and not to use reverse the pic on the side of this post is where i smoked it the first time

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I don't know what the mudders kit has with it. Give some more info . What color springs are you running and did the kit have weights?

·
Administrator
15,420 Posts
yeah what secondary did they send you?

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Yeah...your better off to order your own springs...IMO! set it up how you want.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
red and weights thinking of maybe gettin the yellow

·
Administrator
15,420 Posts
huh..... I had just the red and never had any problems.... You were in low right?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
IMO the lighter weights are not the way to go with big tires.The lighter weights cause the primary to have to spin faster to create enough force to over come the spring pressure.This will raise your RPM's which is good for big tires but it also causes less belt grip in the primary at low RPM's which is bad.The red secondary should be fine if not even excessive. A strong secondary spring will hold the belt higher in the secondary for a longer time effective making it lower geared. Thats a good thing for big tires but you can have to much spring.The strong spring puts a lot of side force on the belt causing a lot of heat.While I'm not totally convinced that a red secondary is needed for the 29.5's i would say it would be OK.The overwhelming mass of people you see post on this matter with 29'5s say this spring works great.But i would not go any stronger.

Try putting the stock weights back in the primary with either the stock or pink primary spring. Make sure your deflection is set right when you add the new belt. You also need to check the condition of your primary and secondary clutch sheaves to make sure there are no groves in them.

I would like to add that I am far from a clutch guru.Someone else may disagree with what I'm saying but what works for one is different for another. I'm still learning my self. Your better off to try a few different things to see what works best for you.

Reactions: phreebsd

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I agree metal man...OEM weights and Red Secondary...

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys I am starting to get a little mad at my dealership they have had my brute since dec. 11 -08 and they havent even started on it ( locked up motor 146 miles on it)

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Wow....has it be sunk or did it just let go on its own?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
never been sunk I was ridin down a gravel road about 30 mph and it just started knocking loud before i could get it stopped it locked up

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Did your dealer warranty it?

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope so they still haven't looked at it if they don't my wife is going to be pissed because i'm going to built that bike as big as my tax refund will let me hahaha

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
do it to it, brotha!

·
Banned
384 Posts
Yeah I learned that if you have to take you bike to the shop anytime after mid Oct. don't expect to get it back until after New Years sometimes.

·
Team BS
757 Posts
i have 31x11 laws on my brute. the previous owner had installed the extreme clutch kit from highlifter when he had 31x9.5s all the way around and he was still having belt problems. it had the red primary and red secondary, with some weights but im not sure wat weights. i took out the red primary and went back to stock but still had a problem wit the belt slippin a lil. any suggestions?

does anybody know what weights come in the extreme kit?

·
Team BS
757 Posts
well crap. i have NO clue where the stock weights are. we cant find the clutch kit. i had to put a stock spring off another bike on mine. guess ill have to start looking harder

·
Administrator
15,420 Posts
Bump where you from? La.?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts