Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my bike is running really well with the mods I got done to it now and an almond 2nd spring. Can I change my weights and primary to get more power. I am looking for more all around power, without killing my top end....

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
VFJ Stage 3 ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really want to hold off on that a little longer

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
I'd just go w/ a maroon primary, maybe a pink. I dunno if I'd get into changing weights and all. However I'm not up to speed on weights so....

·
Team BS
396 Posts
I'm fixing to try lighter weights on mine. It will decrease the weight that the crankshaft has to spin so it will add some power, but I'm not sure which primary spring will work the best with them. I have red, pink, and maroon to test with them so that should give a good idea. It will be another week or 2 before I get to do this though.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
You definitely want to chane primary spring as well not just the wieghts. The primary is not going to kill the top end but it will slow u down getting there if you get it all out of wack - example: 60g weights with a gold or stiffer primary - at that point the motor will be sluggish until it gets to a point where its holding a constant rpm - then you will only go as fast as the secondary will allow u to without coil binding. Thats just an example.
What you want to do is lighten the weights. SO you get there faster. I'd say dont go any lighter than 54g because you dont want the motor to over rev the almond secondary. You're going to have to play with it some to get it where you feel its best. I'd say buy the Dalton weights because they are adjustable and go ahead and get a maroon and almond primary. I personally run the almond pri with 56g weights - stall is about 1k over stock but I like it that way. I'm just as quick with my 28 laws 0-60 has i was with 27" msts and stock secondary with the stage3 work and maroon pri.

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
What if you drilled small holes in the stock weights.... to make them lighter? Cheap fix? or bad idea? lol

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
you can - but I've never done it. I've also heard ppl adding weight to them as well(built bikes) but another one of those things - I'd rather just spend a little instead of doing something that will affect the machine overtime and have to spend a lot... I was affraid I'd get it out of balance some how. And then I would be out the stock weights and have to purchase anyways... But that was my thought. I've heard it being done - so I guess that would be up to whoever was doing it... haha

Also - not sure if everyone knows but stock weights are 58g just incase anyone wanted to try modifying the stocks

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
I wonder how small of a hole u'd need to drill to make them 57g or 56g? Put them in a drill press and a little jig so they all ended up the same.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
My thought originally was to grind off the tip of them just a hair - that way you can kind of control the weight. Thats where I thought I'd mess up and get them out of wack but drilling a hole would be better than that because it would be consistent but ur right - how can you determine what size. I guess start with a very very small bit - weigh them - then determine next step

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Alright help me get this straight. You're almond primary with the 56g weights is about the same as stock weights with a maroon primary? The weights that I'm going to try are 54g. I'm thinking maybe the red primary with the 54's would put me about the same as stock weights and maroon primary.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
HeadC1, that isn't a bad idea and if it works, that would be a cheap mod. I have read that some of the guys are running 2 lighter weights instead of all 4. I guess if I was to do this, i would do like AUbruterider said, start with a small drill bit then weigh them after each size drill bit to get the weight you want. Keep us posted if you decide to do this.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Don't mean to highjack your thread usmctadpole, but all of this has got me to thinking about getting better belt grip. I am currently running the maroon primary with a VFJ stage 2 mod and stock secondary spring and my belt deflection is about 1 inch, but it feals like I am having a little bit of belt slippage on take off, I really don't wanna loose any top end speed, but I was thinking about going to a almond secondary, what would be the pro's and cons to going to the almond secondary? Also I am interested in seeing if changing the weights in the primary would work also. My objective is to acheive maximum performance out of my 650. All of my other mods so far are listed in my signature.

·
Team BS
396 Posts
HeadC1, that isn't a bad idea

Thanks but thats not mine. Polaris425 is the one talking about drilling the weights and its not a bad idea. I would use a scale and get them as close as possible.

I'm actually getting some weights from Bump. They came on his bike but were for 07 and down and his is an 08.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Alright help me get this straight. You're almond primary with the 56g weights is about the same as stock weights with a maroon primary? The weights that I'm going to try are 54g. I'm thinking maybe the red primary with the 54's would put me about the same as stock weights and maroon primary.
Not sure if those would be the correct comparisons but yes thats along the lines(btw I'm no guru at this - so dont take what I say to the bank - I'm just someone that enjoys doing this stuff and try to learn as much as i can as I go)... now with the red primary - you know the backshift is going to be pretty hard on ur belt if you trail ride the bike any... Not sure if this is a bog bike ur referring to or not but on a trail bike - that red is going to be pretty hard on it in a stop/go situation. A buddy of mine has a red on his v2 and man you talking about a stall - its almost a pain to ride that thing... And with the lighter weights - the stall will be even more noticable. If you can keep ur thumb and bike at a constant accelerated pace then it wont be as bad but the stop/go re-engagement on the belt will eat it up... Now with that said - dont let me scare you!!! haha!! I love to see a bike blow the tires like no other but just know easy on the stop/go while trail riding...

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Aight, I'm confused. It sounded like you were saying the lighter weights take away stall so I was assuming that the 54's would bring a red back to about stock. Guess I will try a few set ups, I've already got a few springs.

·
Banned
384 Posts
On the primary:
Lighter weights and stiffer springs increase stall. ( Also overcome the tension of the secondary slower.)
Heavier weights and softer springs decrease stall. ( Also overcome the tension of the secondary quicker.)

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
so drillin my primary weights would increase my stall w/ the maroon primary, but what else would it do? quicker rpm's?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts