Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what changing cutch weight does, or what do the stock ones weight? My buddy is putting small screws, nuts, and washers in the end of his right now. He said he was told it adds top end. Is that true or have any of yall done this??

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
The stock primary weights weight 58 grams.

·
Banned
384 Posts
Changing weight changes the shiftout rate. The weights work against the pressure of the primary spring and is what makes the primary move. They can be a very effective tuning tool but they are expensive. The heavier the wieghts the faster the primary will shiftout but it will lower the top operating rpm. It's like going to a lighter primary spring. Adjusting the weights will not add or take away mph.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Interesting. I've wondered the same myself.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Well with out stepping on STOGI's toes too hard hes 1/2 right. I feel it will improve mph only because if you put heavier weights and nothing else. You'll lower the shift engagement rpm & the shift out rpm. So lets say you had a 7000 rpm shift out, and a rev limiter at 8000 rpm stock. If you put heavier weights in it will be 6500 rpm shift out. You still have a 8000 rpm rev limiter. So when its done shifting you 1500 rpm's left to go for top speed, vs 1000 rpm stock. However you have to have the HP to pull it off the line, carry it throwout the shift out, and to the rev limiter! So if the max HP is made at 7000 rpm and its shifting at 6500 rpm. It'll get from point A to B slower. But at point B it'll have more mph then stock. So yes more mph but slower to get there. you'll only see more mph after 7500 rpm in this scenario above.

There are better ways to get more mph and still keep the low and mid range a Dynatek cdi that bumps the rev limiter up and HP, or an overdrive clutch. or both if you want to name a few.

SORRY STOGI I mean no harm but you left out the rpm after shiftout in done.

·
Banned
384 Posts
SORRY STOGI I mean no harm but you left out the rpm after shiftout in done.

No problem brother , I do stand corrected. Your right about the rpms after shiftout. But like you said it takes big hp to pull it.

I know allot of people (including me) tried using heavier weights to achieve better belt grip but it would bogg the bike down in deep situations

1 - 6 of 6 Posts