1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
Thanks brute650i. I'll copy over the info he posted to this thread.

By FABMAN:

This is what I started with. The large tube is 1.5"OD 3/16"wall. This is the tube from a load bar, Small is 3/8"ID. I got this from Home Depot (hardware), and of course the INT inspection plates

I cut the large tube 4.5" long with a 45* on one end, the small tube I cut 6 pieces at 2" long and 2 of them have 45* cuts on one end. IMPORTANT deburr EVREYTHING you cut!

Find the center of the plates and add a 45* line for guidance for welding. Do not drill yet.

Clean and weld. Note do not over heat it. Go slow tack it on both sides and. Set it aside do the other one tack it same way. Set it aside. Go back to it in 10m to 15m and repeat. DO NOT cool them down let them cool down on there own!! or you will warp them!! The cleaner you get it the better the weld. Use a Stainless brush. A Tig works best for this and no this is not my best welding by far.

Now you can drill them with a 3/8 drill bit. However I would use a vice not your hand!!

And again deburr. If you don't have a small file you can use
the back side of a raiser blade like this.

The under side

Inspection Plates done.

Serge tank.
The resign for this is well it's the hart of this system. Its easiest to think of this system as a river (instead of water it's air). The hose from the motor to the tank are like raging rapids caring rocks, sand, ext (the oil) down stream (high velocity). the tank is the wide part of the river slowing everything down it flows the same volume at a slower speed letting the rocks and sand settle here (the oil) low velocity allowing the oil fall out of the air.

You need a top & bottom for the tank. I had thees pieces from a previous project there also 3/16" thick.

Trace out

Cut out. I didn't spend much time hear I'm welding the seem so it'll round it out and look good.

Clean, weld, drill 3/8", deburr the inside too. Note I put the 2 tubes at an angel on Purpose. If there is any oil left in the air it'll hit the wall of the tube, stick and run down. Also I didn't increase the size of the tube going out of it. Its not needed do to the motors natural scavenging affect. 1 vent will blow as the other sucks kinda like a 2-stroke. as the piston gos up it sucks as it gos down it blows. sense the cylinders fire 180* apart it'll change from blowing to sucking every 90*.

Clean up ready to install.

Assembly
Put inspection plats on. (back)

Front

Put back 1/2" hose on. 1/2" hose fits nice on the 3/8"ID tube

Run it down hill from the tank to the plate or level. Do not create a low spot for oil to gather. You want it to drain pack in the motor.

Put the front 1/2" hose on. Up hill to the tank. Do not create a p-trap.

mount the tank and run the front hose to the lowest point on the tank. this will help the oil return to the motor if it gets up hear.

Air cleaner 9.99 at the auto store. I put a chunk of that 3/8" tube in it so I have something for the 1/2" hose to clamp on.

attach hose

You can run a p-trap hear but you need to put the top 3/8" tube on different on the tank. Down rather then up on the top of the tank.

Done

View of the air cleaner

Button it up and enjoy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Has anyone tried this out? Did it work?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Several people have. Yes it works

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Hay my old wright up. Yes it works good. However I think I'm going to put a better filter on it, or reroute it a little bit to utilize the stock vent hole in the air box this winter. Still up in the air on that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did all the fab work and I'm just waiting on my heads from the machine shop (I had a valve job as well as ported and polished) I'll let you know how it all turned out.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
What are the advantages/disadvantages of doing this. I have never heard of such, advise accordingly........thanks,Tim

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
It keeps the oil out of your air box on wheelies, hill climbing, and long WOT runs. Do to where the stock crankcase breather is located on the bike. It is prone to puke up oil into the air box.

·
7,436 Posts
I did it to mine about 600 miles ago, but I copied the YFX450 design and applied it to the Brute so I would still have Positive Crankcase Ventilation. I think Metal Man posted a copy of the writeup in the How To section a year or so ago. Might still be there. I went by "BF Freak" back then.

Anyway, it works very well, no problems at all and no oil in the box any more. Either way you do it, its a good mod for the Brute.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
good info guys.....i will attempt this soon......thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
i there any other way to do this if you dont have a welder

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Find a welding or radiator shop. They can do that part. I have seen some guys thread a fitting in and JB weld it

·
Registered
939 Posts
What's that hose called they used? I can't find 1/2 in line anywhere

·
Registered
939 Posts
Man Ive tried to find it and cant

·
Registered
939 Posts
No, just checked auto zone, advanced, and O'reilys none of them carried it