Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing the bike after riding and noticed I cut my right front in the center. I did a search and found a thread on vulcanizing. It's a large cut about inch and half long dead center of the tire. A patch job wont do it because moisture will get under it for sure. Anyone in my area got leads on a good place to take it or is a new one the only way to go? Just mounted them Friday....

·
Registered
63 Posts
that sucks, does it still hold air?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, it's a 1.5 inch cut like it was gigged with a shank. The air would have escaped to flat almost immediately.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Could you have it patched from the inside?

I've seen automotive tires vulcanized on the side wall before but not on the tread side. Not sure if that makes a difference .

·
Administrator
15,424 Posts
yeah cold patch? might would hold. Would be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i'd melt a couple patches to that bad boy from the inside and melt one to the outside too to keep it from tearin bigger, then shove a tube in 'er and let it rip

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
that's uneducated advice.. dont do it unless you really wanna. (notice im from arkansas. we do stuff so that it'll work for a while.. we dont do stuff right...)

·
Administrator
15,424 Posts
:haha: now thats funny when you call yourself out... :haha:

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
haha. goodyear makes those foam tubes. Supposed to be equivalent to 14 psi when run flat.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I understand they will patch it from the inside then heat the cut melting it back together.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i could do that in my kitchen sink.. or living room floor.. or at the foot of my bed --^
get a torch and some lighter fluid and a patch kit and play with it mister!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are killing me man.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heat it up and put a booger in it, that'll do it.;)

·
Administrator
15,424 Posts
Butter knife...... We've fixed boots that way... That split in the middle of the sole. Heat it up, melt it back together.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to pull it now and try the butter knife torch trick with inner patch. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
hope that works for you

·
Banned
32 Posts
i have had a tire vulcanized, and it works fine it was on a 25'' itp mudlight for a 01 kingquad, was riding in tenn put a hole it and had a place down there do it. not from where you are so i don't know

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well all is good now. I heated the knife and inserted, slid then heated the slice inside and out. Slapped the cement on and put on a large patch inside and reheated. Went ahead and put a patch on the outside to for good measure. Re mounted it and inflated to 22psi and it started to bulge a bit. Dropped to 6.5psi and bulge disappeard and she's holding steady. Rode for about 3 hours this evening and still had 6.5psi after riding. Thanks for all the help everyone, if she blows I will patch the inside again and slap a tube in it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rode through a ton of slop today, couldn't be happier with the tire performance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts