Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently rode my brute about 50 miles in the snow, the next morning I went into my garage and noticed oil everywhere! I checked the oil and it was empty, so I added a little and started the machine and it sounded a little different. It didn't knock or sputter, but just not the normal sound I'm so use to hearing. It was also backfiring on deceleration the previous night. Any ideas, is my too end gone, and if so should I go with the 840 rebuild from Big Kevs?

08 Brute
29.5" terminators
2" highlifter springs
Relocated radiator
Snorkled
Almond Primary & Red secondary
American Star Tie Rods

·
Registered
166 Posts
^^ I agree^^ It may of just drained out of oil from rear main seal overnight. Might have been fine while you were riding. First step is to find out where oil leaked out from. Fill back up with correct amount of oil and go from there. Back firing can be caused by several things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even with the different engine time and possibly a loss of some top end power at high rpm?? Thanks for the info, I am new to these types of things

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
How many hours/miles on the bike? 650/750? Has it had its valves checked/adjusted at all in its life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something more productive.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Even if you discover the motors cooked ( which I highly doubt ) I'd go with the standard high compression kit versus the 840cc kit. If I had to do it over again that's the way I'd go. Like the other guys said, clean up the bike, fill it with oil, start it and see if you can find where it's leaking from. I'm also guessing the rear main seal which is a common failure. Fix the leak and run it. You'll find out soon enough if something's wrong with the motor.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you you rebuild a 750 I think best way to go is to go 785 with wiseco 87mm pistons and have jugs bored and plated,the standard bore will always have some slap to it unless you send jugs off to get replated to the pistons you are putting in it

·
Registered
179 Posts
Find the leak, fix it. Verify valve lash, do a compression check and get a better understanding of where you are with what you have. And above all else, pay the subscription to MIMB and download the service manual.best money I've ever spent. If you decide to rebuild reach out to vforce John and get his opinion on what would work best for you. That guy has a ton of experience on these motors.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Have the valves ever been set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something more productive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts