Mud in My Blood Forum banner

Difference in 30" backs and 31" Laws

8K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  TX4PLAY 
#1 ·
Right now Ive got 30" backs on my bike, and I really like the backs, but there are a lot of people willing to trade 31" laws for a 30" backs and Im thinking about it. My questions is do the 31" laws put that much more stress on your bike than the 30s? I know both put a lot and there is a good chance of breaking something with the 30s, but does it increase that much more with the 31s? Also, I have the red EPI secondary, is that enough for 31s? Thanks for the help guys

#3 ·
The 30's and 31's are very similiar, i think you would be happy either way you went. The 31's do have a little more lug but I wouldn't consider it enough to say they will break more and if you were happy with your red secondary with 30's then you will be with the 31's too.

#4 ·
agreed wit bighead up there

#5 ·
I personally wouldn't get rid of my backs for 31's and I personally don't like the yellow spring but everyone has they're opinion on both.

#6 ·
i run yellow with my 31's. Seems to do the job.
We'll see how she does with the new pipe.

#7 ·
the only problem that might be an issue wit the yellow is the heat it produces from being tight on the belt. u can smell the belt "burning" alot. but we shall see how it does.

#9 ·
the only problem that might be an issue wit the yellow is the heat it produces from being tight on the belt. u can smell the belt "buring" alot. but we shall see how it does.
yep you can smell it when in a hole under load. We'll see how long that belt lasts.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. So I should be safe to go ahead and get the 31s? Im just going to pay alot more attention to the right thumb.

#11 ·
I like my 31's. You should too :)

#12 ·
I was looking at your thread on heating the plastics to make them fit, is that still needed if I am running the IRS offset rims and a 2" lift?

#15 ·
probably so. They're large tires. If you have to though it doesnt take very long and u cant even tell you did it later on.
Mine still grabbed the front bash plate and ripped it right off. :D
i like how it looks without it I think. now I need a HL bumper and a new front bash plate.

#14 ·
Guess spacers may be in the future, I'll have to see once I get them on. Im not to worried about the footwells are anything cause they can easily be trimmed.

#16 ·
From that story I'm not so sure I believe the tires just "ripped it off" lol.:naughty:
Or is that the story you had to tell somone to get the new HL parts.

I'm telling you, i was just riding and they came right off.

#18 ·
I'm his witness for it ripping it right off we were riding and kept hearing SLAPPA SLAPPA SLAPPA every time he turned hard (yes, that IS the sound it was making:D) And before we new it the front plastic bash plate was folded under draggin the ground.

#19 ·
yep :( now its a cut off piece of junk laying on the floor of my garage. In fact it's still in the same spot it was when you were here, Jon. I'm a tidy guy :)

#20 · (Edited)
one of our guys that ride in our group bought a new tyrex and put 30 silver backs on and broke one of his axles the first time out

#21 ·
That has to suck major!

#22 ·
yeah i guess he did :haha: prob had his foot in it when it happened !! LOL I destroyed my right front axle about a week after switching to the 650 from the old 400. had to learn to be easy on the throttle :haha::haha: kawie V-twins love to break ****:agreed:regardless of what its on

#24 ·
tends to happen when you put little too much throttle to it and catch traction

#26 ·
Yea, I've broken 3 gorilla axles on the back and still have 2 1/2 months of warranty left. I'm moving those to the wife's bike and I have a set of turner's sitting there ready to go in. Gotta love having a warranty, just don't think I'll need it with the turners. I'll definitly give them a full test this summer.

#27 ·
Turners are THICK

#33 ·
To me the difference is easy....I'm only an hour from Gorilla in W. Monroe, LA. lol No shipping necessary!!

#29 ·
All the bending, spacers, and clearance issues made me decide to just get a new set of 30" backs. Thank goodness for WARRANTY, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.