Mud in My Blood Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what this is for. I’ve looked all day and can’t figure it out. It’s in front of the thermostat and below the ignition cant see anything that it would plug into

·
Administrator
15,560 Posts
Seems to me like that may be a spare plug that's hot when the key is on? Could be used for lights, or a winch. It's been SO long since I sold the brute...

·
Registered
30 Posts
its second acc connector for the front; the acc 12 cigarette lighter plug is a seperate connection, this would be for something like extra lights or something of that nature. there is one in the back right as well.
i would not power a winch off of these; not big enough to sustain that kind of draw, but farm implements like power lift plows or drags and sprayer pumps can be run off those two connectors.

·
Administrator
15,560 Posts
I didn't mean the winch itself.... but it could be used as the power source for the solenoid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I didn't mean the winch itself.... but it could be used as the power source for the solenoid.
well the pre-built contactor relay for a winch ususally pulls power from the same power as the source for actually running the winch but yes you could use it to seperate them and use a DIY set of relays and have the rocker switch take the triggering power from the acc connector; i would count it as a waste of an extra power port and overcomplication of a contactor relay system but it is certainly a viable option.

·
Administrator
15,560 Posts
Maybe they are different than back in the day. You usually had to tie into a key-on power source for the solenoid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe they are different than back in the day. You usually had to tie into a key-on power source for the solenoid.
that is true, way back when it used to be a set of heavy duty continuous use solenoids that would flip the positive and negative but most (outside of heavy duty industrial winches which can still use those due to the insane current requirements) now use a dual throw "contactor" relay module.
they are identical to a normal 12v relay in function but the module includes what amounts to two relays in one shell, the switch is just flipping which coil is active within the module to flip the motor direction.
the contactor usually has a jumper wire for the switch from the mains source to source voltage for the trigger to the coils and then both coils have a common ground back to the main's negative.

·
Administrator
15,560 Posts
man I'm getting old... lol...

·
Registered
30 Posts
man I'm getting old... lol...
hey i'm not too far off from counting the months till i start hitting the hill as far as tech knowledge (in all likelihood), i'm 33 this year and the only reason beyond interest i keep up with new and current tech and electronics is because i'm a sysadmin and i have hands in the systems design for IoT asset tracking systems at my job so i have to stay current.

Reactions: Polaris425
1 - 11 of 11 Posts