Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I decided to post this on several forums since I see many people having similar problems with their Brute Forces. I spent a lot of time trying to diagnose problems I had with cutting out at high speeds as well as intermittent problems hesitating in the mid range.

I had to break up the instruction pages in order to fit the file size limits.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I hope it will help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just thought I would put in my two cents. I used these instructions to install the pump on my brute and couldnt be happier... I was having a cut out at top speeds and this cured my problems..

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
what was the need to put it in stock location instead of further up the frame rail somewhere

·
Backwoodz Boggerz
1,580 Posts
do not know about this pump , but alot of aftrmarket pumps require to be as close to supply as possible an not over a certain height above the supply,

now my question .
how much pressure does this pump produce

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just thought I would put in my two cents. I used these instructions to install the pump on my brute and couldnt be happier... I was having a cut out at top speeds and this cured my problems..
This was the FIRST problem I began having. I lived with it for a couple of years and then started having problems in the mid range as well. Glad it solved your problem as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what was the need to put it in stock location instead of further up the frame rail somewhere
On the IRS Brutes there is not much space to mount it on the frame rail. I tried. It is also a plus to have it closer to the fuel tank. There is a check valve in the tank that will keep the pump from having to prime each time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
do not know about this pump , but alot of aftrmarket pumps require to be as close to supply as possible an not over a certain height above the supply,

now my question .
how much pressure does this pump produce
This pump is rated at 2-3.5psi. It will spike around 8psi when the floats rise and the needle stops fuel flow. I tried a regulator and it seems that the pump does not supply enough pressure to make the regulator work properly. I have had no problems without a regulator.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
i converted all your pdf's to a single one.
thanks for the taking the time. rep given.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i converted all your pdf's to a single one.
thanks for the taking the time. rep given.
Thanks, now it looks like my original file. That will make it much easier to view.

·
Registered
246 Posts
how is this holding up?

seemed to be alot of negative reviews for the pump on amazon, so was just wondering, also how is it being submerged?

·
Registered
69 Posts
This is where I mounted mine and hooked tied power into the kill switch that way i can still run tunes off key .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
now this is nice to know seeing im doing a 840 fst kit now.

You spoke about a regulator and said you think there was not enough psi for it t regulate. I just got done doing my Yamazuz project where I needed to run a regulator down to 2.5 psi, it took some doing to find one that fit my needs. but I found one from Edalbrock (1789) that is rated for 1-4 psi. However at 2-3.5 psi is just the right psi for bike carbs. At least that's what I found out messing with my bike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is where I mounted mine and hooked tied power into the kill switch that way i can still run tunes off key .
I like the way you mounted your pump and hooking to the kill switch for power is a great idea. I will probably change mine. I don't like that the pump runs constantly when the key is on.

I didn't want to give up that fancy tool kit to mount mine there. LOL
I really do keep extra fuses and stuff there, but I would consider that mounting position in the future.

As this shows, ideas can usually be improved on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
now this is nice to know seeing im doing a 840 fst kit now.

You spoke about a regulator and said you think there was not enough psi for it t regulate. I just got done doing my Yamazuz project where I needed to run a regulator down to 2.5 psi, it took some doing to find one that fit my needs. but I found one from Edalbrock (1789) that is rated for 1-4 psi. However at 2-3.5 psi is just the right psi for bike carbs. At least that's what I found out messing with my bike
The problem I had when using a regulator with this pump was flow. I guess the pump does not have enough pressure to overcome the regulator spring and keep the fuel flow up. With the regulator, it was starving for fuel. I don't know if a different regulator would be different or not. I was using the Spectre regulator which appears to be made by Mr Gasket(Purolator).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how is this holding up?

seemed to be alot of negative reviews for the pump on amazon, so was just wondering, also how is it being submerged?
I can't give information on submerging. I don't ride deep water or mud. The pump seems to be holding up fine so far. Maybe a couple hundred miles since install. I haven't been able to ride much lately.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had mine submerged still runs fine most of the reviews are for applications on cars .
They do have another model for the 8 cylinder which might work beter with a regulator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have had mine submerged still runs fine most of the reviews are for applications on cars .
They do have another model for the 8 cylinder which might work beter with a regulator.
Are you talking about the 12s? I have considered trying that with a 12-804 Holley regulator(has mounting bracket) or maybe another Mr Gasket Regulator. I would feel better knowing that the pressure was constant with no spikes when the floats rise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
bump for great info ! I'm doing mine now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts