Mud in My Blood Forum banner
181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well I was out riding today and it rode fine until I made it to the spot in the middle of the woods. I noticed it has been running hotter than normal...well, i tried starting it again after letting it cool and the thing would not start at ALL! Eventually the battery drained from trying to start it and had to get towed back by a Polaris 800. Thank God we made it back home over those steep hills.

I really don't wanna pay kawasaki the diagnosis fee, do y'all think its most likely the fuel pump since it ran fine but wouldn't start after it got hot? I did have to replace the whole fuel pump 2 years ago with a new one. I wonder if its due...and is that fuel pump motor on ebay for 89.95 any good? do I need anything else for the fuel pump to rebuild it? I really don't wanna pay 500 for another pump again....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys,

I have similar problem with fuel pump/regulator on my Brute 750 and i need help on this. I have installed GSXR 750 pump and it not solved trouble... afer 10-15 minutes of riding my brute starts to loose power.
I think maybe it is the problem with fuel regulator, but as i read posts in this thread i spoted that you say it might be secondary filter ?
I dont quite understand what has to be done with second filter ? Where and how to put it out where to drill ???

My next Cross Country race with my Brute depends on this so please for any help on this issue i will be really gratefull !

my fb site with brute pictures
https://www.facebook.com/#!/edi.omerovic.3

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Hi guys,

I have similar problem with fuel pump/regulator on my Brute 750 and i need help on this. I have installed GSXR 750 pump and it not solved trouble... afer 10-15 minutes of riding my brute starts to loose power.
I think maybe it is the problem with fuel regulator, but as i read posts in this thread i spoted that you say it might be secondary filter ?
I dont quite understand what has to be done with second filter ? Where and how to put it out where to drill ???

My next Cross Country race with my Brute depends on this so please for any help on this issue i will be really gratefull !

my fb site with brute pictures
https://www.facebook.com/#!/edi.omerovic.3

Did you change the sock filter on the bottom of the fuel pump assembly? What is your fuel pressure? You really need to measure the fuel pressure so you know which direction to go. It could be plugs crapping out on you. The secondary filter you mentioned is a very small metal screen inside the plastic housing above the fuel pump. It's hard to get at because you have to look down into the housing and its on the side running vertical to the hole. It's hard to explain. Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, today we test the fuel pressure... when cold and idling it is 41 PSI, but when i ride with full throttle it began to drop all way down to 20 PSI (you can actually feel the drop of power also)?!
Any suggestions on this guys ?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Ok, today we test the fuel pressure... when cold and idling it is 41 PSI, but when i ride with full throttle it began to drop all way down to 20 PSI (you can actually feel the drop of power also)?!
Any suggestions on this guys ?
It's definitely the pump. You need to change the sock filter on the bottom of the pump. Along with tearing out/drilling out that internal screen filter. Replace the pump motor

I got this one off eBay and it worked great. Make sure to add an in line filter between the pump and the injectors. And make sure that filter is for a fuel injected application. 43 psi may destroy a cheap filter and plug your injectors with the filter element. My local napa guy found a filter on the shelf from a new model mustang that worked great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where did u get the regulator from?
I dont know exactly. The problem was fixes by authorized kawasaki service and they did not tell me from which motorbike it fits... he only said it matches several model of motorbikes (suzuki, kawasaki, etc).... and that he did me a favour because this part can not be sold separately for BF750 (only complete pump).

·
Registered
3 Posts
chek out on eBay there a new compagnie that make fuel pump for the brute force, its called flip, i juste got it on mine for a 100$ and its work great, its as a 1 year warranty, you keep the same canister and fuel gauge, you need to replace de fuel pump only

·
Registered
12 Posts
For those still looking for answers, I have been out of the US for a couple years(military) so my father has had my quad. It has had problems with the pump since I had him start watching it. He doesnt need to ride fast or all the power so I have been taking my time finding a part. Just this last summer I typed something like "08 Brute Force, Fuel pump" into Amazon just to see. Sure as heck a pump came up listed for the BF. It was around $85. My father and brother, neither of which are overly mechanically inclined but have all the common sense in the world, were able to install it. The only issue they said they had was getting it primed but once that was accomplished it ran great. Father says it is scary fast now LOL. Hope this helps save someone some money.

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alright guys, so ive got mine all tore apart and I ripped the secondary filter up the best that I could. Now I have a couple questions. Now that I ripped the screen it looks like its all bunched up in the bottom of the hole. I shook it and blew compressed air in the hole and it doesnt look like it moved any so should it be alright like that? You guys say that you completely removed it, how in the world are you doing that? And also, i see some guys say that you are drilling the hole to get it out. What size are you drilling the hole out to? Im just wanting to get this done right the first time and not mess anything up.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Use the o-ring as your guide. Don't drill out so much the o-ring can't seal. Of course remove said o-ring before actually drilling. Lol. I couldn't get all of mine out either. If you can't pull it out with pliers or blow it out with air, it ain't coming out on its own. It'll be fine. Just remember to install an inline fuel filter. I use one for a 2010 mustang, not GT.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Use the o-ring as your guide. Don't drill out so much the o-ring can't seal. Of course remove said o-ring before actually drilling. Lol. I couldn't get all of mine out either. If you can't pull it out with pliers or blow it out with air, it ain't coming out on its own. It'll be fine. Just remember to install an inline fuel filter. I use one for a 2010 mustang, not GT.

Ok that makes since. So if the filter piece isn't moving should I even bother with drilling it or does the drilling help with the flow also? And did you use the stock fuel line with the mustang filter or did you run new line?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
If you tore a big hole in that screen, there's no need to drill. It flowed fine before it stopped up. And you have to use 5/16 rubber fuel line because the stock one it plastic on the inside. I cut my stock line before I realized it was not rubber. It's only rubber sheathed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you tore a big hole in that screen, there's no need to drill. It flowed fine before it stopped up. And you have to use 5/16 rubber fuel line because the stock one it plastic on the inside. I cut my stock line before I realized it was not rubber. It's only rubber sheathed.

Ok awesome, I assumed it was rubber by looking at it. I'm glad I asked lol..... I took an angled pick and stuck it down in the hole and turned it in circles trying to do as much damage to the screen as possible. I think got it ripped up pretty good, I was just worried about the ball of it at the bottom of the hole but I don't think it's moving. I appreciate all the help and the quick responses.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
No problem man. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Alright guys so I finished up the fuel pump mod this evening and I think everything turned out ok so I thought I would share my experience with it.

First I would like to say that the whole process was a pretty easy task. Before I got started I was a little intimidated but after doing it I think anyone can tackle it.

So after I got everything all tore apart and the fuel pump removed I started disassembling the housing to see what exactly was going on. First off the sock filter on the bottom was pretty dirty

To disassemble the rest of the pump you will definitely need a few finish nails to hold all the clips open, you don't have enough hands for this. Then once I got to the top screen filter I could tell that it was starting to clog up as we'll. So I went to my local auto parts store and got a pick set the had a couple different angles to them. I used one of the picks to stick down in the hole to and I started tearing the screen. I just got it started and then rotated the pick around the entire hole until the screen was ripped all up.

Next I moved on to the fuel line. After removing the factory line, which you can't use because it is hard plastic lined, I installed the new 5/16" fuel injected rubber fuel line.

Down around the front of the tank by the frame rail is where I installed the new inline filter. It was a little tight but it fit.

Then I ran the fuel line from there up to the tank and that part was finished.

Then from there all you have to do is put all your plastics back on, your accessory tray back in and hook your battery back up.

But before I put the tank back in I drilled (12) 2" holes in the gas tank guard. That thing is definitely a trap for mud, sand or whatever else you ride in. So if you are doing this project I would highly recommend doing this while it is out.

After the job was all done and I took it for the first test ride I can tell that my brute woke up a little bit from how it was before I started. Before if I stabbed the throttle in High gear it would barely lift the front tires. But after this mod I took it out and was cursing around 3-5 MPH in high and stabbed the throttle and it stood right up.

So I know that others have explained how to do this and all that but I thought I would share my experience and how I went about doing it. Hopefully this will help you get the job done.

* The only thing I did notice is that when I have sitting at an idle and I pin the throttle to wide open it wants to hesitate a little still. Is this normal for the brutes or do I possibly have another issue somewhere else? *

181 - 200 of 215 Posts