Mud in My Blood Forum banner
161 - 180 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to buy a new pump but I'm keeping the old one to play around with the mod. Hopefully when this new one goes out I will have a spare. Now I just have to replace the axle my husband just broke. It's one thing after another on this one.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bringing this back up as it appears my filter if plugged again (dealer alledgedly replaced the outer filter about a week ago). They said I had all kinds of junk in the tank and Kawi would not warranty it. Did 200 miles at Hatfield this weekend and the last 25 miles it started bogging, cutting out, and back firing bad. Same thing it did before they replaced the filter. I dont want another $381 bill on a machine that is still under warranty, so I am going to get the 85 Galant filter and use that, as well as trying to use carb cleaner and air to clean the little mesh filter inside and see how it goes. If I cant get the little mesh one inside clean and if I poke holes in it with a dental pick or something, do I need to install an external filter after the tank?

My next question is regarding the fuel check valve..I am thinking this it the cause of getting junk into the tank...I have a pro fill fuel filter so I know nothing is getting in the tank that way. Is the stock (2012 750) fuel check valve routed into the frame and then up to the pod area, or does it just stop at the frame? if it just stops at the frame, that seems like a lame design. If so, I am thinking I need to run hose all the way up to the pod area? ANy idea what size hose?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
gtsum2, the fuel tank vent stops where it goes into the frame. You need to pull it out of the frame, pull off the rubber end that holds it in the frame. Extend it with some vent hose and run it all the way to the pod. You are correct in your thinking that dirt and whatever else is getting in you tank threw the check valve. If you end up tearing up the little metal screen in your fuel pump, then yes, add an inline filter between the tank and the injectors. If you don't, you will risk clogging the injectors with the same crud that clogs the metal screen/filter in the pump housing. I put the galant sock on my pump, tore out the metal screen, and installed an inline filter. It's a good idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
2010brute-thanks for the good info. Will pull the tank and do the filter mod and clean the tank out and redo the bent line to the pod. Dumb question, but should I run the bent line along the frame and up to the pod (highest point on the bike) to protect it from water entry? Angle the vent line up or down? Down I would imagine? Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ran mine up the side of my snorkels. Just giving u an idea.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I ran mine gas tank vent up to the pod. I just put a couple of loops around the bars and zip tied it to one of the cables under the pod cover.

---don't go away mad, just go away---

·
Registered
105 Posts
Regarding the fuel filter...that job is completed. Took the tank out and there was sand and dirt and water in there. Mind you this was only after 200 miles. The bike was never sunk or in deep mud (nothing that required 4wd for more than 10 seconds). I cleaned the tank and took the fuel pump apart. The filter (200 miles on it) was filthy and there was sand and such inside the pump housing. Cleaned it all up with Carb Cleaner and blasted the stuff out and installed a fuel pump strainer for a 85 Mitsuibishi Galant, part number is fs131 at autozone. My fuel pump is fine, but if it goes out, I now know how to take the housing apart and actually replace the pump (can use a GXSR 750 pump in it..only about 75 bucks too). I kept the check valve there, but instead of running it back into the frame, I got a 6 ft piece of fuel tubing and ran it up along the frame to the pod area. That check valve was letting stuff get into the tank. This should fix it....I hope! The Brute runs strong like bull again...just need to take it in for the flashing 4wd (should be under warranty I would think). Thanks again for all the help here!!!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Make sure you guys are screwing your gas cap down tight or buy an 05-07 brute cap.

·
Registered
105 Posts
gtsum2, the fuel tank vent stops where it goes into the frame. You need to pull it out of the frame, pull off the rubber end that holds it in the frame. Extend it with some vent hose and run it all the way to the pod. You are correct in your thinking that dirt and whatever else is getting in you tank threw the check valve. If you end up tearing up the little metal screen in your fuel pump, then yes, add an inline filter between the tank and the injectors. If you don't, you will risk clogging the injectors with the same crud that clogs the metal screen/filter in the pump housing. I put the galant sock on my pump, tore out the metal screen, and installed an inline filter. It's a good idea.
Well, my fix didnt last long, so I took the tank out again and cleaned it out better. I also poked holes in the screen on the pump housing and replaced the sock again, so now I need an inline fuel filter. What kind did you use? I imagine there are different ones for fuel injection vs carbed? I am convinced my check valve is bad too...going to take that out (already ran the line to the pod), and I'm going to put a fuel filter on the end of that to stop dust, etc from entering the line

·
Registered
24 Posts
Okay, so I got an extra fuel pump and cut it open, to get a good look at it. As most if you know it's not the motor that goes bad as much as the internal filter that can not be reached gets clogged. I do say that you replace the sock t the bottom first just in case. But after looking at the pump in pieces.. I have found a way to bypass the internal filter without cutting or harming the plastics or fuel pump in itself.. All you have to do is drill out the hole that leads to the output and while drilling that out continue drillin slightly until you drill through the internal filter... Leaving a hole in it. Then fuel will be able to pass through it. But what are you going to do without that second filter? Put an inline filter down the fuel line a foot or so and there you have it... I know it's difficult to understand but if you've ever looked at the middle part of the pump..(after unsnapping the 3 pieces apart) you should see what I mean. Mines never had so much power. Saved 500$ with a drill bit and a 4 dollar inline fuel filter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fuel Pump

I just experienced this and 08monsterbrute seems to have the best answer for this problem. When I took my pump apart I did not see the screen but after cutting open the top part of the pump the screen is an oval shaped wire cage or should I say jail as the screen is very fine and I have been very careful not to get stuff in the tank but still ended up with this problem. In fact the buddy I ride with had this happen at about the same time at RiverRun in Texas. We got gas from the same place.

After looking at a bunch of posts I would like to throw out my theories an why everyone should go ahead and mod their pump assembly before this happens (snorkel vent first). The internal filter is very very fine and will clog. The problem with this is the fuel pressure regulator is after the screen so if the screen becomes clogged no fuel is going through the pump to keep it cool and the pressure builds similar to hydro locking it. I think this is why most people report it runs sort of for the first few minutes on original startup. With the filter mounted outside of the tank even if it becomes clogged fuel will continue to go through the regulator keeping the pump pressures and temperature down. This is why I recommend doing the mod sooner rather than later to prevent burning out the pump.

Taking the pump apart is not that difficult, just take your time and use finishing nails to hold up the tangs as you go around the pump otherwise you do not have enough hands. I also drilled out the inlet side of the top module prior to punching out the screen. When looking at the inlet you will see where the screen inlet plastic is molded into the part and if you drill out in stages until that is gone you will easily see the screen and be able to punch it out.

One other note this is based on the original 08 pumps that breakdown into three pieces. Based on pictures the new pumps look different. I was considering fabricating pumps for these and selling them and still might since the cost of replacing is outrageous.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I went to autozone, told them what I needed, and they gave me a standard inline fuel filter for $5. Said it didnt matter if my brute was fuel injected or not..it would work. I said don't I need a special one for fuel injection, and they said no..I told them what the fuel pump puts out pressure wise and they said I was fine.....I have put about 30 miles on it of fast trail riding and it seems to be working fine.

161 - 180 of 215 Posts