Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MIMB Resident Mud Chick
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search .22 and 22 hand guns and didn't find a thread - just sayin'. If there is one - oops.

I've decided it may be time to pick up a gun and wanted to know your thoughts (about the gun, not about me owning one ;) )

I prefer hand guns (yup have a restricted license)
I've been shooting 9mm & .22 at the range.
It will only be for target shooting at the range for now.

Shooting 200 rounds for under $20 is really appealing so that's what I'm looking at.

What are your thoughts on a good brand/manufacturer as well as a model? Are there any I should stay away from?

I'm going to ask some of my local redneck friends as well, but I thought I'd ask you guys too.

Thanks
Donna

·
Administrator
15,389 Posts
Browning buckmark is a great .22 pistol and comes in several models.

Unless you prefer revolvers, then really anything is decent. You just about can't go wrong with any .22 pistol.

·
Registered
236 Posts
IMO .22s are so simple its hard to go wrong. I do enjoy .22s patterned after other guns to familiarize myself. for example, i have a .22 1911 clone. there are also .22 for popular Sig Sauer pistols. you can even purchase conversion kits so the same gun can fire .22 and another caliber like 9 mm.

·
Administrator
15,389 Posts
IMO .22s are so simple its hard to go wrong. I do enjoy .22s patterned after other guns to familiarize myself. for example, i have a .22 1911 clone. there are also .22 for popular Sig Sauer pistols. you can even purchase conversion kits so the same gun can fire .22 and another caliber like 9 mm.

The only downside to that is the cost of the conversion kit, is usually equal to the cost of a whole nother pistol.... That's why I don't care for them. My 2 cents....

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a Ruger Mark II that has served me well

·
MIMB Resident Mud Chick
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I guess I just need to try out a few and see what works for us.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The only downside to that is the cost of the conversion kit, is usually equal to the cost of a whole nother pistol.... That's why I don't care for them. My 2 cents....
I know the Kimber one is really expensive, i think the Sig one from Cabelas is $270, a sig .22 220 pistol is $600 roughly, and the .45 220 is $800+

its not for everyone, i have a sig and don't have one, when i wanna shoot .22 i have the 1911 or the good ol ruger 10-22... but then again, i havent shot in over a year cuz ammo is so expensive and outdoor shooting ranges are over an hour away from me, (can't stand indoor ranges). also, that money i dont use on guns is more for the bike :biggrin:

·
Administrator
15,389 Posts
Sig must have come WAY down b/c when my father bought a conversion for his it was $500.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I know you said .22, but I don't currently have a 22 pistol. But I do know that my wife's Sig P238 .380 is a sweet little gun to shoot. Just a little more kick than a .22, and very accurate. BUT, .380 is not nearly as cheap as .22 LR is. We pay about $22/box 50 here for it. And 9mm is about $18/box 50. I think the last I paid for .22 was $21/box 330.

I like the look and feel of the Ruger SR-22, but I haven't shot one, so I don't know how well it shoots, or how reliable it is.

·
MIMB Resident Mud Chick
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The boys are after me to get something. I thought I'd start with a .22 and expand from there. I've been using a 1911 at the range. Seems fine but I haven't tried any others.

Last week I spent $18 on 200 rounds and a package of targets. I can't remember what I paid for the box of 375. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than paintball, that's for sure - lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
i have the sig mosquito 22 and keltec p30. both are sweet and have had no trouble with either. the kel tec however is 22 mag , and holds 30 rounds. both are super fun and accurate. the p30 sounds nasty and shoots fire balls. wich ups the cool factor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Ruger p95 its a 9mm I carry with me everywhere I go. Very nice lightweight gun with very little recoil and easy to strip down after shooting. It also wont cost a arm and a leg. I think about 400 will get you one.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Sig P290 here, 9mm subcompact, w/crimson trace, easy to conceal and VERY accurate. Probably put 1000 rounds through it so far and no issues whatsoever.

·
MIMB Resident Mud Chick
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to get at GSG 1911. That's what I've been using at the club so it seemed like a natural choice.

Geez guys I need help. Quads aren't cheap. I've heard once you buy one firearm you want more and more. This can get out of hand. I think I need to take up a cheaper hobby like knitting or something. lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
HA yep... my hobbies are Video games, cars, Knives, Guns, ATVS, and might start cycling... i cant afford all this .

·
Administrator
15,389 Posts
You? Knitting? Haha! Yeah right! :)

Posted via TapaTalk for iPhone5

·
MIMB Resident Mud Chick
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HA yep... my hobbies are Video games, cars, Knives, Guns, ATVS, and might start cycling... i cant afford all this .

Oh buddy, you have it bad. I'm not sure if you meant cycle or motor but either way....My brother in law just bought a cycle and paid more than most small cars. The thing is light as a feather.

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 PM ----------

You? Knitting? Haha! Yeah right! :)

Posted via TapaTalk for iPhone5

Yeah I know, but I'm going to have to get a better job or a rich man....both would be nice ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts