Mud in My Blood Forum banner

Freeing up a secondary bolt?

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Polaris425 
#1 ·
Changing out my springs on my primary and secondary, I came across a small problem... The main bolt to my secondary is on tighter than a joke. I know these bolts are only supposed to be on to 69 foot pounds, and even with incidental tightening while riding... how in the world can it be this tight?

This might seem like a joke, but i literally had the secondary wedged to keep it from spinning with a 24 inch long breaker bar on it and it wouldn't budge. My question is... is there ANYthing I can use to free this bolt up? Can't use penetrating oil... or any oils for that matter. The secondary has not been removed and was bought new. Just want to make sure I'm not gonna strip or break anything before I go out there and start jackin' it around.

#2 ·
The secondary is right hand thread, just in case. I always use an impact on mine.

#5 ·
does anyone know the size of secondary nut so i can get a socket for it next time when I adjust belt

#6 ·
the secondary nut is 1-1/16 standard or 27mm metric.
It's actually 27mm but if you dont have one, the 1-1/16th standard socket fits it perfectly.
impact always works for me as well.

#7 ·
Why cant you use penetrating oil, WD or PB Blaster? If you are trying to remove the nut, using penetrating oil should be fine as long as you clean the shaft with a acetone prior to re installing the clutch. I had a similar problem were the nut and the secondary were both rusted onto the shaft. I used a impact gun to get the nut off and a gear puller, penetrating oil, dead blow hammer, and lots of patients to remove the secondary.

#8 ·
Think I'll give it a shot then. Got everything above... my compressor's doesn't hold pressure too well. (product of it being almost as old as I am) Anyway, didn't even think to to clean up with acetone. Still a bit worried about this method though as I won't be breaking it all the way down.

And as for the 1/2" ext on the floor board... tried it and actually bent the floor board down and popped it right out. No damage thankfully but it did give me a jump.

#9 ·
put the extension on the frame at the floorboard , u have to angle it back a lil. as far as cleaning everything up the pri shaft must be clean and oil free the sec shaft can have some grease on it . the inside of the sec needs grease in it also so the pins slide easily. and remember never seize is ur friend so put some on that nut before puttin it back on

#10 ·
#11 ·
What I really need to know is... how much torque can I put on this thing before I have to worry about breaking it? Clutch puller and springs finally came in... Doing this thang today and gonna try the penetrating oil/acetone clean up method mentioned by tsirwin. I'll advise how it goes...

#12 ·
What I really need to know is... how much torque can I put on this thing before I have to worry about breaking it? Clutch puller and springs finally came in... Doing this thang today and gonna try the penetrating oil/acetone clean up method mentioned by tsirwin. I'll advise how it goes...
I'd say about 60 loosening it. Remember...only 69 when you put it back on.

#14 · (Edited)
Popped right off with liquid wrench, and a ghetto rigged prop with a 3/8" ratchet in one of the holes on the secondary plates. Cleaned up good with the acetone (Note: ALLOW A FEW MINUTES TO DRY!)

I'd also like to take a minute to show what I used as a modified spring compressor:

In Phreebsd's video on how to change a secondary found here I couldn't quite figure out what he was using at the top of his allthread to expose the snap ring. From what i can tell it's a pipe cap of about 2" in size, however I simply used an old muffler adapter of about 2 1/4" and grinded out a square section of the side. This is a lot easier since there's already a hole, which is handy if you don't have a drill press for that thick metal pipe cap. Total cost: about 14 bucks... (about 5 in my case since I already had a pipe fitting. Only difference, had to use a couple more washers. STILL about 70 bucks cheaper than the one you can order offline less shipping.

Please feel free to message me if you would like more pics of the project and how it came together for me. On a final note... I'm beginning to learn that SEARCHING FOR INFO FIRST and not being afraid to ASK QUESTIONS will greatly assist your first time experiences with your quad. Something that might turn out to only be a small problem may seem very daunting to someone who's just dished out 8 grand on a new machine but! Have faith in yourself: If you didn't think you could do the job yourself, you probably wouldn't have made it this far in, and finally... Be sure to thank those people that have assisted you with kudos and rep. :D

Ride on!

#15 ·
Well said Bacon. I'm glad you got that bad boy off. I think you're gonna like that red spring. Ride on, indeed.

#16 ·
Awesome! Glad you were able to get it to bust lose.

Looks like you need to shorten your all thread though! :D I bet it took 2 hours to run the bolt down that far! :D haha. j/k man.

#17 ·
It was only about 24" but yes.... took a while longer than I anticipated. In the future I'm definitely shortening my allthread lol. What surprised me was the thin gauge metal on the adapter didn't seem to mind squashing down that tough spring. Was kinda worried about that especially since I cut a chunk out of it, hence the safety glasses. :22:

#18 ·
lol... yeah its a physics thing... anything cylindrical can take a lot more pressure verticle than you think. We learned all about it in school but, I Can't remember back that far! haha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.