Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
last night i was changing my front diff oil who in there right mind put a allen bolt in the drain of course it stripped trying to get it out:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4: had to get vice grips to get it out i finally got out and found a regular bolt to put back in. i talked to some factory rep a little while back wish i knew about this then i would have told him this was a bad idea:doh: has anyone else had this problem ?? and what did you do to fix the problem?

·
Trail Rider
16 Posts
Hello, that's a known problem, with all the brute force, atv's, use a metric hex head bolt, same lenght, on both front and rear diff's

·
Registered
31 Posts
yea it was deffinitly a ***** to get off the first time. Allen wrench with a cheater bar worked for me

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Neversieze is a must anwhere you have a steel bolt and aluminum threads. Wont help you now but could prevent it from happening again

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Yep known problem. The allen head bolts are junk from the factory. Best thing to do is replace them both when new.Both of mine were stupid tight and i had to get my buddies out with a hammer and chisel.:34:

Here is the info from the How to section on what size bots to replace them with.

Front/RearDiff drains

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
They're a real pain in the :moon:, replace em with a 8mm M8 1.25x16

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Metal Man beat me to it, but your link is dead..

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
no problem ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks im going to get more bolts my son is going to have to change his also;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Those are a Pain,, I have changed mine out as well..

·
Lets Get It
338 Posts
I guess im one of the lucky ones thats never had a problem with the diff drains but I guess ill go ahead and change them out the next time I change the oil in them, just did it last week but didnt have the bolts :p

·
Administrator
15,423 Posts
I used a serenge (sp?) ;) :rockn: redneck inginuity brother! I'll replace the bolt eventually. Need to buy me an "ease-out"

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used an easy\out on mine,I almost drilled out through the side of the bolt into the case,Glad i stopped drilling when i did.Thought i went in strait...Be careful of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts