Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddies 08 750 started leaking out where the driveshaft connects to the front diff. There isnt nay play in it so its all good, but the seal is forsure bad. He never changes the fluids hardly and it is contaminated, so more then likely that is the cause. He has about 900mls on it and only changed it twice that i know of and ride water alot. Anyways, I have rebuilt several diffs but never messed with the pinion/shaft seal. Does it just pop out like the motor seals or what. I dont have either bike here so i cant look at them to see.I looked at it on babbitts and it looks as if it may just pop in, but you cant really tell with them pics. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
it does.pull that shaft and pry it out. i gotta do mine as well.

as far as that never changed it but twice, i know someone else like that ;)
(and it aint me)

·
Registered
145 Posts
do yall have any pics or write-ups on the replacement? It sounds easy enough but I like visuals the first time I do a replacement in hopes i dont make something worse.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Phreebsd has a video of changing the rear motor seal which is usually the problem. It works the same way. Compress the shaft and remove and then pry out the old seal. The new one pushes in flush.

·
Registered
331 Posts
yes i just changed mine... its a 14mm nut inside take that out... andthen the sleeve or cone comes off and u will see the seal.. take seal out reinstal new one.... dont be scared when u go to put the new sleeve/cone thing in the grooves do not have to line up on the inside(its like 3 prongs) put it in and tighten 14mm nut and conect drive shaft and u are ready to ride.. took me about 15 min if that to change front pinon seal

·
Registered
450 Posts
How bad is it to change the left front diff seal?

·
Registered
331 Posts
front left diff seal is very easy just like any other seal... but every time i pull my left axle out the needle bearings beind seal always go everywhere... dont worry they can not fall in diff just fin hem all pick them up and put them back in cage...

·
Registered
450 Posts
front left diff seal is very easy just like any other seal... but every time i pull my left axle out the needle bearings beind seal always go everywhere... dont worry they can not fall in diff just fin hem all pick them up and put them back in cage...
Thanks, gotta change the left front and rear seal on the diff plus the rear engine seal on the '08 as soon as it warms up some.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I need to do my front diff rear seal.
1) do you remove the drive shaft from both the engine and the front diff?
2) If so do you need to drain engine oil.
3) do you need to drain front diff oil ahead of this.

Croom a zone mentions " its a 14mm nut inside take that out... " whats that all about I don't see any large nusts involved

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
1) yes

2) no

3) yes

After u remove the axle there is a nut where the axle goes in the front diff. Remove it & then pry old seal out. While ur at it do a thorough cleaning/ flushing of front diff.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Do you need a special nut to change the front diff seal, from the drive shaft?? also my compressing splines or whatever u call it is full of mud, how can i get a good grip on the drive to compress it???

·
Backwoodz Boggerz
1,580 Posts
14mm hes refering to the socket size, not the nut size
the compression joint , i have had to put vice grips on the shaft an use a pry bar to get them compressed

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Guys dont get confused here some of you are talking the small seal inside and some of you are talking about the bigger seal.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts