Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2012 Brute Force. It has some aftermarket goodies like a Muzzy muffler and fuel controller. When I was looking at the machine before I bought it I noticed the front diff locking lever was removed and the cable attachment to the diff was disconnected. When I asked the previous owner (second owner) he said the original owner installed a differential lock. I have not heard of such a thing but the price was right so I took a chance and bought the machine. I am presently tearing it down to do a full inspection. Because I suspect a locked up diff and a BS story I plan to remove the diff and have a look inside. My question is whether anyone has heard of an aftermarket device that you would install to purposely lock the diff permanently, or was he blowing smoke?

I appreciate any insight

·
Registered
236 Posts
I haven't heard of one . but that doesn't mean one isn't made?
It can't be locked all the time as ut would make it hard to turn

·
7,482 Posts
The Brutes have a set of friction disks that decrease slippage as the cam plate squeezes them together. It's not an ON/OFF situation like a Detroit Locker would work so..yeah...it's BS.. and you will probably find the disks and plates toasted....Or if it ever had large tires on it in the mud it's also likely the cage is bent or warped. Happens a lot. Here's what a bent cage looks like:

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Brutes have a set of friction disks that decrease slippage as the cam plate squeezes them together. It's not an ON/OFF situation like a Detroit Locker would work so..yeah...it's BS.. and you will probably find the disks and plates toasted....Or if it ever had large tires on it in the mud it's also likely the cage is bent or warped. Happens a lot. Here's what a bent cage looks like:
ya a detroit doesn't exist for theses that i've found but it is super easy to just hook up a 12v constant duty or NC solenoid to the lever or the spline at the diff to trip the lock whenever the ignition is on. you can also (if you have an aftermarket CDI with an rpm triggered output and multiple modes/memories) hook it to a custom output on an aftermarket CDI to engage it based on mode and the rpm tach
the other (more destructive) way of making a diff lock for these is to remove the lever and just stick a bolt or solid short spline in and tighten it down so it can't be disengaged.
the latter though will wear it out quick and potentially cause issues when its locked in and it should not be so it causes more stress on the cage than they were made for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts