Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Team BS
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, This information was provided by Maxitout77 on Highlifter.

The basic problem with the front diff is the spider gears. The spider gears ride on a cross shaft in heart of the front differetial. The issue is the clearnace between these gears and the cross shaft. There is next zero tollerence between the shaft and the gears (no, there are no bearing, its metal on metal). Under general riding condition this is not an issue, but with big pwoer, big tires, and watery crappy conditions, this can cause a failure. Bascally, the gears will seize onto the shaft due to lack of lubrication and overheating. This failure be as minor as having the front end in a permanant diff lock, or as serious as an actual differential explosion. I've scene both.

In order to correct this problem, we need to modify the cross shaft to allow oil to flow in between the gears, and the shaft. This can be done with either an angle grinder or a dremel. You just need to notch or grind the shaft slighly to allow oil to flow between the gears and the shaft. You can grind a slot in the gears, but they are alot harder.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like a good fix to the problem. Think I will tear into mine this next week.

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Yep, mine's coming off too.

·
Team BS
396 Posts
Always finding crap to add to the to do list. Its never ending.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Always finding crap to add to the to do list. Its never ending.
need a big bucket of free time and an even bigger bucket of money! maybe then we can reach "completion" on these rolling masterpieces of mud domination!

·
Team BS
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think honey-do list and bike-do list have a secret competition to see who can have the most items....

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
that's for **** sure!

·
Team BS
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
need a big bucket of free time and an even bigger bucket of money! maybe then we can reach "completion" on these rolling masterpieces of mud domination!
nothing is ever complete, just done for the time being.

·
Registered
73 Posts
At what point do your guys' diffs seem to be failing?

·
Team BS
396 Posts
I've never broken one but wanting to do this to help prevent future problems. I would probably be fine if the seals would hold up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great info. I had mine to break the cross shaft and lock both wheels in. Also busted the center section of the diff. Im in the process of building it now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This actually works. Kawasaki mechanics are doing it in the shop on warranty repair and the mechanic said he hasnt had one come back yet. :rockn:

·
Registered
3 Posts
wearing out bearings with the 8" lift any ideas???????
other than taking lift off

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I did this mod on mine a few months ago when I rebuilt it...was only going to do bearings and seals, but found 3 chewed up gears when I opened it up so did the whole thing. Very simple mod, and I can definitely tell where it will help keep oil to those gears and any trash away from them.

Fueling The Addiction Using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
wearing out bearings with the 8" lift any ideas???????
other than taking lift off
Is it just wear thats getting the bearings or is water getting in there and contributing to it? The 8" lift is hard on them I'm sure, but I ran a 6" for 1 year and I dont think it was what wiped out my bearings...it was leaky seals, bearings just dont last long when they are running in water instead oil lol. And I flushed mine after every ride, seals where just junk.

Fueling The Addiction Using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
Correction - Kawi seals are junk when new. Bought one today because I was one short for the rear end. Dealer said he had lots of them @ $8.03 each.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yall's dealers are cheap compared to the local one here. I stopped in one day to buy a seal & he said it was $20. :bigeyes: Turned around & walked out. Bought one on Ebay for like $10-$12

·
Registered
129 Posts
this is my first time posting but is this a common problem with the front diff even if i dont ride real hard or sink mine should i do this mod??

1 - 20 of 40 Posts