Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***All information courtesy of phreebsd***

This information isn't as much of a "how to" as it is a general reference. This information applies to Brute Forces, and possibly other Kawasaki models. This is the information you will need to replace those pesky factory allen head front and rear differential drain plugs. These are notorious for being easy to strip the head on. When I removed mine, I had no problem. Make sure when you insert said allen wrench into bolt head to give it a couple stiff taps with a hammer to make sure it's fully seated in the head. They are in there very tight. Replacing these with standard bolts make future fluid changes less of a hassle and strip risk.

The factory bolt for both the front and rear is a size 5 allen head. Replace these with size M8-1.25x16 Hex Cap Screws. A pack of two is ~$1.12 at Lowe's. These will have a size 13 metric head.

Hopefully this will save someone some time down the road somewhere.

***All information courtesy of phreebsd***

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Thanks. Stripped mine out yesterday, heading tomorrow to get easy out and new screws......terrible design with those allen heads! You put the hex bolt straight up or throw a small gasket in there?

·
Bayou Boys Offroad
491 Posts
Good info, it probably wouldn't hurt to put a couple wraps of teflon around the hex bolt threads.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Once the weather is a little better i plan to do a complete fluid change on my brute. I will be changing these as well.Thanks for the heads up on what size bolts to get.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Incredible Hulk and Godzilla's fully grown (overgrown, at that) offspring put them factory bolts in it seems like, so be careful with that allen head

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like a good idea.My front diffs got a leak and I think I will change them out when I fix it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Done...Thanks. You made it easy by providing the bolt measurements.

No more allen wrench...:rockn:

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Nice :)
This is one of the first things that should be done to the brute. Get it off as soon as you get it home and replace it. Wont cost you but 1.12 for bolts and .47 quarts of oil.
You'll save yourself some grief if done earlier than later.

For those of you that have stripped it, the quickest way to get it off is a chisel punch and hammer. This is old school.
First take the punch and hammer a notch, straight up and down, on the endge of the bolt. Then take your punch and put it in the notch you made at an angle (angle it toward the way it it will ned to turn and tap it good and hard. It will break loose and begin to turn the way u are tapping it.

here's an illustration

·
Registered
210 Posts
Can you get the rear off with vise grips? I tried the front with a dremel, chisel and hammer and I couldn't get it off. I took of the skid plate and with vise grips it came off with ease.. But my rear one is stripped too and I can't get that sucker off for the life of me....

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
huh
i forgot to mention vice grips..
im sure u can, sir.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
:D
Paint! gotta love it!

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I've done this on several brutes - i take a small grinder and grind the head of the bolt off - you have that grinded down - then you can use use ur finger and back it out. Then I replace it with a good bolt like whats shown above.

·
Registered
63 Posts
just like phreebsd said i used a chisel on my rear diff and she came right out like a charm and btw nice paint illistration lol :rockn:

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Nice :)
This is one of the first things that should be done to the brute. Get it off as soon as you get it home and replace it. Wont cost you but 1.12 for bolts and .47 quarts of oil.
You'll save yourself some grief if done earlier than later.

For those of you that have stripped it, the quickest way to get it off is a chisel punch and hammer. This is old school.
First take the punch and hammer a notch, straight up and down, on the endge of the bolt. Then take your punch and put it in the notch you made at an angle (angle it toward the way it it will ned to turn and tap it good and hard. It will break loose and begin to turn the way u are tapping it.

here's an illustration

good info

I did the exact same thing a long time ago, but only after fighting 2 days with the stripped bolt trying to get it out with several bolt extractors that didn´t work

nice drawing Steve, is that a Craftsman hammer? LOL

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
haha yep. I have a craftsman hammer.
Heck i got a lot of craftsman tools. Cheap and warranted for life!

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
just like phreebsd said i used a chisel on my rear diff and she came right out like a charm and btw nice paint illistration lol :rockn:
You sir have just joined the old school crew. :)

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Awesome wright up, I hope this works for me tomorrow! Does anyone know if it's okay to put the Kawasaki wet brake gear oil in the front diff?

Brenton

1 - 20 of 46 Posts