Mud in My Blood Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done putting my 06 Brute back to stock with vacuum pump, etc. it's working pretty well but I noticed that the nipple on the gas tank near the gas cap doesn't have a check valve installed at all. It's simply open. I 'm thinking this causes me to lose prime and make it hard to prime since the fuel tank cannot build up any pressure. By looking at the service manual it shows a check valve attached there to a short piece of hose with arrow facing back toward the tank but I don't know what the other end should be connected to -- if anything?

Can anyone tell me how that should work?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,532 Posts
The check valve will have nothing to do with priming. It only lets air in while the pump takes fuel out so a vacuum won't occur. It does shut and allow pressure to build. However, missing, it will allow trash and water into the tank. It connects to that nipple with a 90-degree line then to a hole in the frame with a rubber grommet. It exits the frame up front on the right side frame with another line that runs up to the vent manifold under the bars.

If it's having problems Priming, check that the selector valve is set to PRI and once its running turn to ON. Check that the vacuum hose has no leaks and fits right on both ends. Also check that there are NO cracks in the carb boots as this will lower vacuum pulse levels and thus the pump's operation. Also check that the valves are set correctly...especially the intakes. You might also check the intake filter for trash...be shocked as to what gets into tanks...especially ones with open holes like yours. Ensure the is no water in it as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts