Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try and make skid plates and was wondering if anybody would know if a 4X8 sheet of AL would be big enough to make skids for 2 brute forces?

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
I got my brand new Rocochets here and think it would be very close, but would guess 1.5 might do it.

and try puck board if you are making yourself, cheaper and easier (unless you got the gear to bend & shape the aluminum).

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I'm making skids for mine and a friend. Maybe more if I can make some $$ at it. But its taking 2 sheets per bike. Once I'm done making templates I may be able to get it down to 1.5 sheets per. Hear is a pic of my buddy's skids so far we are going to put floorboard guards on next.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i have a bender, cutter, plasma, welder, you name it. I was just trying to figure out the metal cost, and how much metal , people were using to do it. I know what i can get a metal for, i just wanted to know how much to buy and if it was worth it. So 1.5 sheets is about what yall are using. i am more concerned with the cv guards, and front bash plate. i mean i figure i could trim the center plate down more, for what i ride i am more worried about a rock hitting a boot. Do yall have any recomendations on how to shape the metal to save as much as possible? The whole less is more concept, just trying to save $. Or is it a trial by fire type deal?? Im going to be doing it this month so any help would be helpful thank you

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
that's look real good fabman. great work!

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
CV guards are on the list. But we wont to finish the belly-pan out to the floorboard's first.

No tricks just a lot of time figuring it out. Don't cut till you know 100% where to cut. Don't wing-it

·
Registered
48 Posts
skidplates

this is how i did it from 5 millimeter aliminum for chassis and from 6 millimeters for the suspension

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
i dont know how too put more than one pic so here is more

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,427 Posts
you just click browse again, and upload another photo....

·
Registered
48 Posts
and another

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
ok thanks here we go

and one where i am stuck in the snow

Attachments

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Well we got more done today. The front A-arm's and floorboard's, all that's left is rear A-arm's. This is made of 10 gage 5052.

A-arm's

Steering to full left lock

back skid

mid skid

front view

Sorry the pic's are from a cellphone

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
yeah i have a bender, cutter, plasma, welder, you name it. I was just trying to figure out the metal cost, and how much metal , people were using to do it. I know what i can get a metal for, i just wanted to know how much to buy and if it was worth it. So 1.5 sheets is about what yall are using. i am more concerned with the cv guards, and front bash plate. i mean i figure i could trim the center plate down more, for what i ride i am more worried about a rock hitting a boot. Do yall have any recomendations on how to shape the metal to save as much as possible? The whole less is more concept, just trying to save $. Or is it a trial by fire type deal?? Im going to be doing it this month so any help would be helpful thank you
Update on how much metal you need to do what iv done so far. I still need to do rear A-arm's. I think I can do it with 1. If you don't f-up!! and that's one sheet well thought out. Id do a 4x10 sheet next time.

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Those are awsome!!

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
up date

Well hear is the last of the Grizz. All we had left is the rear a-arms.

This is ware we left off before the rear a-arms.

We also got to the BF today. This is what we have so far.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Front view

Back view

Side view

As far as weight I'm not sheer of 20lbs? What dose a 10x8 of 10 Gage 5052 weigh?

·
Kajun Mud Slingers
1,616 Posts
very nice work....are you going to mass produce these. if so how much are you asking...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts