Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, thinking about getting a set of grim reapers and some 14" diesels wheels. ive done some searches but there isnt too much out there. most people say they are a whole lot better than stock.. no ****... my friends honda 420 that i have ridden has Gators on it. im not expecting reapers to work as well as gators, and im sure they are going to be much better than stock. i've heard they run small also, so...

A:anybody have 27s that can tell me that actual size when mounted

B:How are they in the mud?

·
Administrator
15,356 Posts
NMK has them but he lives in the desert. He's done a review somewhere of the tire.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm sure i've read it. there was a few people that posted about them in the "best trail tire" thread, but again, not much mention of mud. Here in FL, i can run into a lot of mud. but im not looking for a mud tire.

everyone seems to love them. only thing that bummed me is i read that 26s measure out to be 25.5, and i would like to be 1in taller than stock, hence the 27s.

·
7,388 Posts
I have only had mine in mud and river crossings up to the engine and didn't show any signs of not making it. They are not a true mud tire bit they have some of the bar design that works well. Again, they are a trail tire by design and are fantastic...IMO :)

You have to measure tires off the machine and from the center, laying on the floor with the recommended air pressure. My 26x11x14s with 5lbs measure 26.25"

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I ran a set for one summer. They work really well in the mud. I followed these guys every where they went on 29.5s.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, i don't want a dedicated mud tire. pretty sure ive heard all i want to hear about them. gotta get ready to buy meself some wheels for xmas and the GRs for bday (jan)

edit: i understand how the measuring works, i forgot where i read about the 26s running small. but if yours measure out a lil taller, all the better. 27s here i come.

·
Registered
324 Posts
sorry no experiance with the reapers. but they look really good. i have had HL MST, EFX MTC's, EFX Monsters, and now Zillas and i ride in FL. so if your curious about any of those i can offer an opinion, but they have been reviewed to the death already.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grim Reapers, 26" vs 27"

I know i want to get the Grim Reapers. I was originally planning on getting the 27" tires on 14" wheels. Is there ANY reason that i should get 26" on 12's instead???

·
7,388 Posts
Well, I believe you can't get 11s and 9s for 12" wheels. Just 8s and 10s. Is that bad...no, its just optimum width on Brutes for trails is 9s and 11s.

Make no mistake, the Grim Reaper is a fantastic trail tire that does well in mud, but it is not a pure-mud tire.

I like mine so much, when I wear these out, I'm getting another set. But I am a trail rider 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats fine, thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Well, I believe you can't get 11s and 9s for 12" wheels. Just 8s and 10s. Is that bad...no, its just optimum width on Brutes for trails is 9s and 11s.

Make no mistake, the Grim Reaper is a fantastic trail tire that does well in mud, but it is not a pure-mud tire.

I like mine so much, when I wear these out, I'm getting another set. But I am a trail rider 99.9% of the time.
they go from 26x9 to 26x12.
the 27s are only 9 and 11. I usually think bigger is better. extra height is always a plus. just double checking since im pretty new to this.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered up some 27s through mud-throwers since they are a supporter. ill post pics when they show up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GOT 'EM.. walked into the shop today and BOOM!!! UPS decided to show up early for once. Also bought extra center caps cuz I'm THAT guy. Thanks to Matt at Mud-Throwers.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Nice choice. You're gonna love them. I really enjoyed the set I had.

·
Registered
58 Posts
looks good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts