Mud in My Blood Forum banner

HERE TO HELP!!

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Brandonrobinson1995 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I know a bit about to ATV's and would like to be helpful if anyone has questions. I used to ride with my uncle and cousins growing up and now work for a pretty cool ATV parts company. I've learned a lot about parts and assembly and would like to be of assistance when I can and also gain knowledge from others.

For a helpful icebreaker here is a thread to a commonly ask question I often get asked:

Question: How to change bands on a boot????

There are no special tools required to install pinch type clamps. The pinch type clamps are sent with all our boot kits and CV joint kits and are specifically sent because no special tools are required. A pair of pliers or tile snips will be the only tools needed to install a pinch type clamp.
Step 1: Hand Tighten

Start by wrapping the band around your boot once its seated on your joint. While this guide shows the inner joint, this guide works with the outer too. Looking at the band, you will notice it has notches and tabs. Hand tighten the band by squeezing the band and locking your tabs into your notches as tight as possible.

Step 2: Pinch the Box Tab

Notice there is a little box tab that protrudes out more than the other tabs. You will want to take your tool and pinch the sides of that little box.

Step 3: After Pinching

Once you have pinched the box tab, it should mushroom up as seen in the picture.

Step 4: Hammer Tab Flat

The last thing you want to do is grab a small tack hammer and just tap down the mushroomed tab till its flat, just in case there are clearance issues.

Using the Economy Banding Tool with band-type clamps
Step 1: Slip tail under buckle and draw tight

Wrap the clamp around the CV boot and thread the tail through the buckle. Draw it tight

Step 2: Bend excess back to hold

Helpful Tip: Bend the excess tail backwards to hold it in.

Step 3: Attach banding tool

Insert the tail of the clamp into the head of the banding tool and slide it through the slot of the winding mandrel.

Step 4: Tighten the banding tool

Tension the clamp with a clockwise motion using a ¾" socket wrench.

Step 5: Bend back clamp

After sufficient tension has been applied (the clamp is tight enough to hold the boot from turning on the joint but not too tight that the boot is damaged), lever the tool back over the buckle to put a bend in the clamp to hold the tension (you may want to tap it with a hammer to put a good crease).

Step 6: Tap down the ears

Complete clamp installation by tapping down the tail of the clamp against the buckle and then tapping down the buckle ears to hold the clamp tail. Cut off excess band with the tin cutter.

Using the Professional Banding Tool
Step 1

Wrap the clamp around the CV boot and thread the tail through the buckle. Draw it tight.

Step 2

Insert the tail of the clamp into the head of the banding tool and slide it through the slot of the winding mandrel.

Step 3

Depress the locking pawl and tension the clamp with a clockwise motion of the ratchet.

Step 4

After sufficient tension has been applied (the clamp is tight enough to hold the boot from turning on the joint but not too tight that the boot is damaged), lever the tool back over the buckle to put a bend in the clamp to hold the tension (you may want to tap it with a hammer to put a good crease).

Step 5

Cut off excess band with the cutter and remove the tool.

Step 6

Complete clamp installation by tapping down the tail of the clamp against the buckle and then tapping down the buckle ears to hold the clamp tail. Remove excess band from the tool by lifting the locking pawl and removing the ratchet.

Hope this was helpful to someone, will try and post at least one helpful tip a week!

- SabrinaATVPC

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a very good write up!! Thanks for sharing! If you don't mind I'm going to copy it over to into the how-to section.

#6 ·
I have a 2008 Kawasaki brute force 750 efi it has no spark I have tested the ECM and cdi box in another guys quad. I’ve replaced the stator coils, ignition coils, new spark plugs and wires, and a new battery. Still no spark. Do you have an idea what the issue might be. It turns over good just doesn’t fire (no spark)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.