Mud in My Blood Forum banner

HighLifter Triple Flow Radiator

18K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  NMKawierider 
#1 ·
I bought a HighLifter Triple Flow Radiator with the stock location mount. I also got my hands on a HighLifter Temperature gauge. As soon as I took the parts out of the boxes you can tell the quality of these parts. The radiator is much thicker and heavier than stock as you can see from the pictures.

Also notice the difference in the size of the fins and how much wider the HighLifter Radiator are.

I wanted to use the Highlifter Temperature gauge because it matches up perfect with their radiator. You install the temperature sensor in the drainhole so you don’t have to cut into your radiator hoses, it worked real slick. I put red arrows to show where it is installed.

To be honest, removing the plastic, and reinstalling it, took almost longer than installing the parts itself. The one thing I didn’t like, is that I didn’t realize I had to download a different set of instructions till after trying to follow the generic ones. This is just as much as my fault than anything else. The real problem I had with this installation, is that the mounting holes on the top could be cut out just a little more, so you can get the bolts in a little easier. It says in bold writing that you will have to install on an angle. I think that for the amount of money you spend on this equipment, this shouldn’t be the case. In HighLifters defense, this is a universal radiator but I would think that the mount holes could be a tad different. It works the way it is, but could be tweaked. Also, most people that buy this, install it on the rack. You will need to go to a hardware store and pick up 2 rubber washers, because the stock ones are too thick and not designed to be used that way, as you see in the picture below. These also should come with the install kit.

As you can see from the pictures of the radiators, there is a definite difference between the two. Not only is the HighLifter one thicker, it is also wider. The stock radiator is taller, but once installed you see that more air flow hits the HighLifter, especially if you have a winch. Also, notice how the fan setup covers the back, and forces more air this way, you can really feel it.

I jumped the wires so the stock fan would kick on, and to be honest, it’s really weak for moving air. Then, when the HighLifter Radiator was installed I jumped the wires and man the air it moved was incredible. So, just the difference in the fans is night and day. You have to cut the wires so that the sensor and switch will reach the new locations. It is real simple and well explained and all the parts you need are in the kit. These wires are hot for the fan so you should unhook your battery before starting, as I snipped the wires and got a spark and actually blew my fuse. The ‘08 and newer the fans don’t come on without the key but ‘05-‘07 will.

I haven’t had a chance to taken the bike out for a good ride yet. What I will tell you, is that when I started the quad to burp it to get the bubbles out, I didn’t realize that I blew my fuse for the fan and the bike ran and ran. The ole girl was getting pretty warm, and no fan at first I thought boy this Engine Ice really works well. Then I looked and my temperature light was flashing. I hooked up my HighLifter temperature gauge real quick and it read over 240 degrees. Found my blown fuse changed and BOOM the fan kicks on and it feels like a furnace blowing air. Within 5 seconds it kicked off, I thought man I blew another fuse, no sir I look at my gauge it was down to 200 degrees. Started the quad back up, she gets warm around 210 degrees the fan kicks on, less then 5-10 seconds of the fan and it’s down below 200 degrees. Ran it like this for a few minutes to make sure that this is how it works and it did the same every time. My stock fan would run at least twice as long, if not 4-5 times longer. Again, I can’t tell you enough how much more air got moved with the HighLifter setup.

I got the HighLifter Temperature gauge and this piece is top notch. It comes with all the stuff to either install the sensor in the radiator hose, or indirectly into the HighLifter Radiator. The install is easy and simple. The kit comes with mount to put your gauge on top of your plastic; I decided to install it in my fender as seen in the pictures. The pictures of the top mount are from my P650. You can see how slick both work. This is a direct quote from Mike Smith from HighLifter “The value in our gauge is not just the gauge and instructions but the one piece machined billet adapter for the sensor. That’s why our gauge kit is higher priced than discount store models which leave you trying to figure out where and how to mount the sensor.” I find it worth every penny. You can also change the light color that the light glows by changing the plastic cover that comes with the gauge (you have either a red one or green, or don’t run one at all). I liked the red as it matched the pod. I ran my hot lead to my key so my light is always on and run the ground and you’re ready to go. You can run your hot to a headlight if you so choose, it is up to you.

Brute:

Prairie 650:

Overall, the quality and workmanship is top notch. There are a few “quirks” that can easily be fixed, or just use it without a problem. People will look at the price and say ‘Wow that is pricey’. Well it is, but as anyone knows when riding on the trails with your buddies you hit some puddles then you overheat because you have an inferior radiator, it sucks. With setup your quad will run much cooler and more efficient. Honestly, most upgrades for your quads you spend allot of money, and this modification is worth it even just for piece of mind.

Here is a picture to show how it fits. It is a touch fuzzy but you get the idea.

See less See more
#2 ·
How is the fan noise? I bet it's prettypowerful.
Welcome to MudInMyBlood!

#5 ·
Welcome to MIMB vtprairie. Good to see you on the site.

I moved your thread to the How to section. Looks like theres a bit more to it then just taken the old one out and stick the HL in its place. Good info and pics ;)

Here awhile back someone was having troubles with this same setup and i directed them to this/your thread on Kawicentral.

#7 ·
I finally got a ride in today with my new setup. No mudding but allot of slow (under 10mph) technical riding in the woods. The system worked great the gauge showed 210 and stayed there the whole time. The fan came on allot less then before. The heat tape worked wonders as well to keep the heat off my leg. I am very pleased with it.

#9 ·
Having just finished this install myself less that a month ago, I just wanted to add that the stock black radiator shroud gets left off when installing the HL radiator unless some MAJOR cutting and hacking is dont to that thing.

Overall this is a great addition to the Brute, especially for hot weather or slow moving riders.

Greg G

#12 ·
Note:
I just put one of these on my '08 this weekend.What HL doesn't mention is that the EFI models do not have the fan sensor.So you do not need the wire extensions provided.Apparently the sensor on EFI models is in the thermostat.

#13 ·
I bought a HighLifter Triple Flow Radiator with the stock location mount. I also got my hands on a HighLifter Temperature gauge. As soon as I took the parts out of the boxes you can tell the quality of these parts. The radiator is much thicker and heavier than stock as you can see from the pictures.

Also notice the difference in the size of the fins and how much wider the HighLifter Radiator are.

I wanted to use the Highlifter Temperature gauge because it matches up perfect with their radiator. You install the temperature sensor in the drainhole so you don’t have to cut into your radiator hoses, it worked real slick. I put red arrows to show where it is installed.

To be honest, removing the plastic, and reinstalling it, took almost longer than installing the parts itself. The one thing I didn’t like, is that I didn’t realize I had to download a different set of instructions till after trying to follow the generic ones. This is just as much as my fault than anything else. The real problem I had with this installation, is that the mounting holes on the top could be cut out just a little more, so you can get the bolts in a little easier. It says in bold writing that you will have to install on an angle. I think that for the amount of money you spend on this equipment, this shouldn’t be the case. In HighLifters defense, this is a universal radiator but I would think that the mount holes could be a tad different. It works the way it is, but could be tweaked. Also, most people that buy this, install it on the rack. You will need to go to a hardware store and pick up 2 rubber washers, because the stock ones are too thick and not designed to be used that way, as you see in the picture below. These also should come with the install kit.

As you can see from the pictures of the radiators, there is a definite difference between the two. Not only is the HighLifter one thicker, it is also wider. The stock radiator is taller, but once installed you see that more air flow hits the HighLifter, especially if you have a winch. Also, notice how the fan setup covers the back, and forces more air this way, you can really feel it.

I jumped the wires so the stock fan would kick on, and to be honest, it’s really weak for moving air. Then, when the HighLifter Radiator was installed I jumped the wires and man the air it moved was incredible. So, just the difference in the fans is night and day. You have to cut the wires so that the sensor and switch will reach the new locations. It is real simple and well explained and all the parts you need are in the kit. These wires are hot for the fan so you should unhook your battery before starting, as I snipped the wires and got a spark and actually blew my fuse. The ‘08 and newer the fans don’t come on without the key but ‘05-‘07 will.

I haven’t had a chance to taken the bike out for a good ride yet. What I will tell you, is that when I started the quad to burp it to get the bubbles out, I didn’t realize that I blew my fuse for the fan and the bike ran and ran. The ole girl was getting pretty warm, and no fan at first I thought boy this Engine Ice really works well. Then I looked and my temperature light was flashing. I hooked up my HighLifter temperature gauge real quick and it read over 240 degrees. Found my blown fuse changed and BOOM the fan kicks on and it feels like a furnace blowing air. Within 5 seconds it kicked off, I thought man I blew another fuse, no sir I look at my gauge it was down to 200 degrees. Started the quad back up, she gets warm around 210 degrees the fan kicks on, less then 5-10 seconds of the fan and it’s down below 200 degrees. Ran it like this for a few minutes to make sure that this is how it works and it did the same every time. My stock fan would run at least twice as long, if not 4-5 times longer. Again, I can’t tell you enough how much more air got moved with the HighLifter setup.

I got the HighLifter Temperature gauge and this piece is top notch. It comes with all the stuff to either install the sensor in the radiator hose, or indirectly into the HighLifter Radiator. The install is easy and simple. The kit comes with mount to put your gauge on top of your plastic; I decided to install it in my fender as seen in the pictures. The pictures of the top mount are from my P650. You can see how slick both work. This is a direct quote from Mike Smith from HighLifter “The value in our gauge is not just the gauge and instructions but the one piece machined billet adapter for the sensor. That’s why our gauge kit is higher priced than discount store models which leave you trying to figure out where and how to mount the sensor.” I find it worth every penny. You can also change the light color that the light glows by changing the plastic cover that comes with the gauge (you have either a red one or green, or don’t run one at all). I liked the red as it matched the pod. I ran my hot lead to my key so my light is always on and run the ground and you’re ready to go. You can run your hot to a headlight if you so choose, it is up to you.

Brute:

Prairie 650:

Overall, the quality and workmanship is top notch. There are a few “quirks” that can easily be fixed, or just use it without a problem. People will look at the price and say ‘Wow that is pricey’. Well it is, but as anyone knows when riding on the trails with your buddies you hit some puddles then you overheat because you have an inferior radiator, it sucks. With setup your quad will run much cooler and more efficient. Honestly, most upgrades for your quads you spend allot of money, and this modification is worth it even just for piece of mind.

Here is a picture to show how it fits. It is a touch fuzzy but you get the idea.

#15 ·
vtprairie,

Do you have a link or a recommended website to purchase this radiator? I can't seem to find this product on the HIghlifter website.

Thanks in advance
Unfortunately, that user hasn't been on in a decade. I don't think you'll get a response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.