Mud in My Blood Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
Sometimes mine won't even make a click when I try to start it, also my winch just stops working and then will work again or...my winch will only come in an inch at a time everytime I press the button, could this be the buzz connector?
Winch control circuts don't go through the buss. Its probably where they did make the connection...usualy near the switch with a pinch connector. Might check there and all battery connections.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
OK, thanks for the reply! Could a faulty battery cause this trouble? While the quad is running how much would it take to drain the battery with the winch?
Batteries don't usualy disconnect & reconnect internaly. Once they gone...they gone. A good battery with a good charging circut and an engine at a fast idle shouldn't be pulled down to dead by any ATV wench, although some have had to let it recover after 5 minutes or so of running the wench.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
Just Wandering i plan on checking this tommorow, but i have a 05 brute force it recently stopped charging and somtimes, i will walk out to it and the ignition will be on, the fourwheeler sat up for a good while in the weather before i rescued it, the ignition problem was supposedly always their but the cahrging problem just arrised could this be the buss connector and also the winch stopped working about the same time it clicks and draws power but does not move
Its very likely. That is one indication of a corroded buss connector. Very common for the 05s.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
well I didn't have to but with the Actuator issue I checked the connector. See this mess?
Blurry pics from phone
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp215/rolltide777/IMG_0311.jpg

This one show's the white wires completely corroded away. What the glob is around the wire at the harness is beyond me.
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp215/rolltide777/IMG_0312.jpg
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp215/rolltide777/IMG_0310.jpg

Man...that's some nasty-look'n mess...

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
I bought a used 05 and it had some of the symptoms of the bus connector. Thanks to MUD IN MY BLOOD I had some good ideas where to look.

So I went to the rear bus and it had green corrosion, mostly on the white wires, but there were no black and yellow wires in the bus. Someone had already taken those out. I did the white and brown ones anyway.

My question is was there a recall or bulletin to dealers to take the black wires out of the bus or do you think the previous owner just did it thinking it would be good enough if the negative wires were separate from the others?
The previous owner must have done it because there was no recall becsuse of buss problems. They were only a problem if they got under water, not in normal operating conditions.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
You guys were spot on. I removed the rear buss connector and twisted the like colors together and the fan came on and it fired right up! The plastic connector didn't look that bad but, I could see some green/blue corrosion within.

What is the best way to keep the wires connected? I have some outdoor lighting twist caps with dilectric grease in them. Could I install these and wrap in electrical tape?

Thanks,
Todd

The best way is to solder then and use heat-shrink tubing with a dab of clear RTV inside before shrinking. Then tape it all back into the harnace.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
ok thanks for the reply yea its the buss connector i just tried to turn on the quad and the belt light was on so i did the reset and i started moving the buss connector around and baaammmm!!! belt light came on again. i will be tackeling this job tomorrow after work i dont have a soldering iron but i will use the electrical nuts should be ok with a little di-electrical grease huh??

My opinion is, "do it right or don't bother". Wire nuts do not last and you will be doing this all over again. Solder them and use heat shrink, then coat with either electrical grade RTV or liquid tape and be done with it...for ever.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
Buss connecters just connect a number of grounds and other like system wires together at one point. They were never water proof so the one in the rear on most machines that "Go Deep" always got filled with water and corrode. That one is next to the frame close to the tank vent port. All the 05 IRS had them and the early 06s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts