Mud in My Blood Forum banner

How to: Brute 750 - Install Temp Gauge (mechanical type)

82K views 137 replies 61 participants last post by  2010Bruterider 
#1 ·
Today I intalled a temp gauge that I picked up from O'reillys for 20 bucks.
This gauge is a simple mechanical type gauge. It has 1 sensor lead and 2 wires on the back. the wires are only for the light inside.

Drilling the Hole
This is a 2 1/16" gauge. A 2" hole needed to be drilled. The body slides into the 2" hole and a 1/16" lip sits around on the gauge so it doesnt fall in.

To center the hole, I used a sharpy marker and measure tape. I centered up a hole measure 1" from the edge horizontally and vertically.
once I had my hole center marked it was drilled.

Before the gauge was to be installed I applied RTV to any openings I found the night before.

Making the T fitting
Here's what I used:
(1) - 1" x 1" x 3/4" reducing T (labeled #1 in below)
(2) - 1" x 1" MPT x Barb male adapter (labeled #2 in pic below)
(1) - 3/4" to ½" bushing (labled #3 in pic below)
(2) - #12 Hose clamps (3/4" to 1¼")

Labels shown below just to reiterate what was used.

The T

The Side adapters to hook up the radiator hose. I know our hose is 3/4" ID but this particular adapter fits perfectly even though it says it's 1". might be the MPT? i dont know what MPT is..

This is the top bushing to allow the brass piece that came with the gauge to screw into.

And these were the hose clamps used to secure the radiator hoses to the T.

(1) - 1" x 1" x 3/4" reducing T (labeled #1 in below)
(2) - 1" x 1" MPT x Barb male adapter (labeled #2 in pic below)
(1) - 3/4" to ½" bushing (labled #3 in pic below)

Using everything above, I put together this T.
Teflon tape needs to be applied to all threads!

The T was put in place on the line leaving the thermostat on the right side of the bike. This hose was chosen because a good reading would be able to be obtained from the water leaving the cylinders on its way to the radiator.

Hooking up power for the light
If you check the backside of the cigarette lighter port on the shroud under the pod, you will find a red hot wire. This wire is only hot when the key is on. I used it once for the rocker switch for my winch so I made use of it again for this purpose. The ground was ran directly to the battery.

Finished project

Tried to get a night shot. Didnt turn out too well.

I made a vid which also didnt work too well. i hope you get the idea of what it will look like at night.

Temp gauge_5-24-09 :: gauge night shot video by phreebsd - Photobucket

This Project was completed for just shy of $40 dollars.

See less See more
#4 ·

#5 ·
Good job Steve as usual. Very detailed.

I been in the process of doing this mod for some time now.I have most of the stuff i just need to do it.

#6 ·
Get her done metal man. It's 1 hour or less to complete. :)

#7 ·
Yeah i got the day off today so i might get out there and do it when i get back from town later on.

Did you get and temp readings with it yet?

#8 ·
yep. my fan cuts on about 220.
tested it 3 times :)
watched it go down as fan ran. idles right at 210 to 212

#9 ·
Looks good, good write up

But for another install option I'll add that people with a 07-older Brute (maybe prairies, not sure) can simply drill and tap the thermostat housing with a 1/8" NPT tap for the sender IF using an electric gauge, dont think there would be enough room for the mechanical gauge sender, this is the only pic I have, can get more if wanted

#10 ·
i wanted to go that route. it's by far the cleanest setup.
as you said though, wouldnt work for a mechanical sender. it's huge!
i should have taken a pic of the end. i forgot to.

#11 ·
I did mine today. Pretty easy to do. I sealed the back up real good with silicone but i still got a little moister inside the gauge when i washed it. Must have gotten in around the face.

Now i got to get the glass full of antifreeze back in it i lost :34:

#13 ·
dang im wondering if mine does too cause the guage sitting fully cold doesnt go all the way to the left. so by adjusting the amount it's shifted i'd guess mine cuts on at 200 too.

#14 ·
Mine is on the right side like yours preebsd, and I think mine comes on around 210 or so

#15 ·
Took a pic of mine today

I could not find the brass barbed fittings at Lowe's phreebsd so i used 3/4 steel barbed fittings. There longer and not as pretty but work. The T fitting i used is a 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/4" . I used a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer to screw the brass fittings that come with the sending unit into. Then hooked the sending unit to the T. The tip of the sending unit is sticking about 1/4" inside the 3/4" T so it should take accurate water temps.

#16 ·
i should have mounted mine upside down like that too so i dont catch an air bubble. im pretty sure i worked any air out of that area though.

that's a nice gauge. where did you acquire it?

#17 ·
Here's my guage and toggle switch for fan...

#18 ·
Auto Zone is were i got the gauge. They also had a white face gauge with chrom trim for the same price. It looked cool but i figured the black face would match the bike better in my case.Its was about $16. It's easy to read since the marks are in 5 degree increments and it has a light. But its not water proof at all. I siliconed up the back really good but i still managed to get just a little moister in it when i washed it last time. The moister is gone now but it was a little foggy for a day or so.

#19 ·
mine gets foggy too. I may break down and get the hl gauge. Supposed to be waterproof and its electrical not mechanical like i have.

#20 ·
^ Well, my HL guage does get a tad foggy as well. Not much at all, but sometimes. FYI

#22 ·

#23 ·
doh!
:(

i wonder if I can find a water filled gauge...

#25 ·
#26 ·
It is cheaper to build your own. Definitely.
That one looks like it will work fine as long as you get 3/4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.