Mud in My Blood Forum banner
81 - 100 of 138 Posts
You could hook the temp gage light hot wire into the headlight switch harness. That way the gage light will be on with hi or low beams and off when the headlights are off. I traced the wire from the left handelbar to the harness connector and used a probe to find the wire that was hot with switch on lo and hi, and not hot when switch was off. Its the red wire. I solderd another wire onto this one, covered it with liquid wire cover, and ran it to the hot of the temp gage light. Works great.

Discussion starter · #83 ·
good job robisra. that's good information to know because i want mine to work that way also! thanks!

I tapped off of the red wire at the harness connector, hanging down the steering stem, now located behind my snorkel pipe. But the wires going to a headlight would probably work as well. Its not a lot of amps going to the small bulb on the gage, but I wouldnt want to pull from one headlight over the other. Though, I dont have a wiring diagram, so I dont know if my red wire is a main switch, the left light, or the right light. I know it works. Just test them with a probe before stripping any insulation to make sure you have the right one. You might put a small fuse inline also to ensure any problem with the gage wire doesnt affect the lights.

Do you just run your T through the radiator hose or what?:thinking:

its hard without removing the plastic.
you can get a piece of tubing poke a hole thru the cap in the jug of coolant and put the tube in there. make it a tight fit. if you want you can put something like liquid nails or jb weld around it to seal.
Feed the tube into the radiator fill opening and

squeeze it in.
You can get a longer hose through the column pod onto the radiator.

Here is how I mounted my gauge

Good write up guys. I'll be trying this sometime soon, probably pick up a 3/4 sweep mechanical from oreillys. I'll post up pics when completed

Installed my temp guage yesterday. Took me alittle long than expected but I know did it correctly. I was able to snap a few pics along the way.

do you have the trouble of hitting puddles and the gauge dropping i had this problem so i wrapped it with insulation and no more problem

What temp does most of yall's brute run? The other night after installation I tested it out and noticed that the fan kicks on at 227 and shuts off at 212. Sound about right?

I am going to be doing this , this weekend probably , got all the stuff I need just have to grab the temp gauge , I am going to be putting in a gauge with a swith so i can turn the fan on if I want.

I have read through the entire topic and just want to be sure on how to do it , so here is my question , if I go with a gauge that has a switch on it , what wire's do I need to hook into ? My bike is an 08 650 I .

Sorry if this has been answered before , just want to be sure I do it right :)

Cheers !!!
Everyone !!!

Guess the coolant hoses are smaller on the 650 I 's ??? I bought everything i need to do this and when I put it all together , it was way to big , there is no way the 1"Barbed is going to fit in the coolant line . I guess i need 3/4 T all the way around and a 3/4 barb .

does this sound right ? help please , i want my bike back together , i have not rode it in about 3 weeks .

I used a 3/4 Tee, 1 inch is too big

Well got it in and installed ( except for mounting it in the plastics , thats todays job) and started the bike,let it get good and hot , no leaks , thank god !! and my fan comes on around 210 and back off again around 190 -200 ish .

today I hope to get the plastic back on and run the wiring , I have not put in a manual switch for the fan , not sure if I am going to do this or not , I think I should seeing as it is still all apart for the most part . But im thinking to much on it , I have myself confused lol.

For the manual toggle switch to control the fan , I have to run a wire from the "hot" on the fan , to the "hot" on the toggle switch ,and then run a ground wire from the toggle switch to a good ground on the bike. And for the gauge light to work off my lights when turned on , I have to run the "hot" from the Gauge to the red wire on the lighting harness , and ground the other wire on the gauge.

Does this sound right ? In my head it does lol .

Well since im in Canada i have to compensate once again. all 3/4 tee and 3/4 barbed male adapters. will it flow enough or do i need 1"? Canadian tire had barley anything.

Attachments

Great write up thanks for the ideas:rockn:

Well since im in Canada i have to compensate once again. all 3/4 tee and 3/4 barbed male adapters. will it flow enough or do i need 1"? Canadian tire had barley anything.
same here ....my setup is exactly like this ..all crappy tire stuff.......;)
seems to be fine , but mine heats up all the time trail riding:bigeyes: ....... rad gets dirty instantly ....but i watch it and throw on the fan manually and shes all good ....;)

81 - 100 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.