Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to do the fan switch trick?? Pics would be great!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you tell me how I will make a video tomorrow

·
Administrator
15,425 Posts
are you wanting to be able to cut it on when you want, w/o waiting on the sensor?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want it to cut on when it needs to and I want to be able to cut it on and off like I want to also

·
Administrator
15,425 Posts
well I've racked my brain about trying to do all that with just 1 switch and it's not possible. To be able to turn it on when you want to, turn it off when you want, AND still keep it attached to the sensor so IT cuts it on when it needs it & you forget, just wont work with 1 single switch.

So:

1. If you want to cut it on an off as you choose:, then you need to just disconnect from the sensor and forget about it. Then just run a hot wire to the switch, and the fan hot to the other side of the switch and operate it as you choose. Be sure to put an in-line fuse in there.

2. If you want to leave the sensor in the line, but be able to cut it on when you want, if the sensor isnt making it come on: You need to take a jumper wire, splice it into the the hot wire from the battery to the sensor and connect it to one side of the toggle switch, then, go from the other side of the switch and splice into the wire going from the sensor, to the fan. This will allow you to close the circut, and bypass the sensor making the fan come on, but if you forget and leave your switch off, the sensor can still close the circut and cut on the fan.

3. If you want to be able stop the fan, when the censor has it on: You just need to put the switch between the battery and sensor, or the sensor and fan, doesnt matter, either way you can break the circuit.

Sounds to me like for what you want, you need to do #1.

Reactions: phreebsd

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
option one would be by far the most simple and easiest, but for it to work "right" i feel like option two would be necessary.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea number 2 is what I want to do but not to clear on how to do it....does anyone want to do it and take some pics before I do:thinking:

·
Administrator
15,425 Posts
let me draw you a diagram real quick........

you see when the sensor gets hot enough it closes the circut and turns on the fan, by splicing in w/ the toggle, your doing the same thing, closing the circut, whenever you want, however, if the sensor is tripped, it will still cut the fan on even if you cut the switch "off" the fan is going to remain on, until the sensor cuts it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok one more thing and I will drop this whole thing....where is the sensor?

·
Administrator
15,425 Posts
should be mounted into the radiator somewhere.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok....I will see what I can do tomorrow.....I will make a video for it...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
if you dont already have it, download the manual for your brute. search for "fan" and you will find more than you need to know!

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
You can use a three position switch to do what you are trying to do hook t-stat lead to top side, 12 v lead on bottom and hot wire for fan on center and you will be able to run fan when you like or let the t-stat take over depending on pos. of switch

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I think this mod is a must on the brute. I cleaned my radiator with wheel cleaner to remove the coating and installed a manual switch that I turn on evertime I ride and I have not had an overheating problem.

·
Administrator
15,425 Posts
You can use a three position switch to do what you are trying to do hook t-stat lead to top side, 12 v lead on bottom and hot wire for fan on center and you will be able to run fan when you like or let the t-stat take over depending on pos. of switch
That seems like alot more work & wire running than just what I described.. having to run more wire. I think bypassing it would be much simpler & cleaner. Bu to each his own...

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
That seems like alot more work & wire running than just what I described.. having to run more wire. I think bypassing it would be much simpler & cleaner. Bu to each his own...
its only one 12 v wire that is not already there you basicly just disconnect the hot wire from the fan connection run one side to the top and one to the bottom of the switch then put your 12v wire you ran to the center simple as that I do se the simplicity in your design and think i will change mine

1 - 20 of 40 Posts