Mud in My Blood Forum banner

How to: Install Derale Performance power steering cooler on Brute as an oil cooler.

13K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  HoNdAnAsTyRIDdEr09 
#1 ·
I just installed an oil cooler on my machine today. I haven't taken it for a test ride yet because I don't have a socket big enough to tighten the sandwich adapter nut. That nut size is pretty big! So as far as results, I will update at a later time. For now, here are the pics and parts.

Everything was ordered from Summit and I ordered enough to do 3 machines. The total for each machine was around the $85. If the machine runs cooler and the seals last longer it is well worth the money!

The cooler itself is a 2 row unit, and fits perfectly mounted to the frame rails. (12 5/8" x 2 1/2")

See less See more
#2 ·
im going to move this into the how-to section.
rep given.

#3 ·
Neat and clean installation. :bigok:

#4 ·
I need to do this, and it reminded me that I need to put a power steering cooler on my Jeep... when I'm trying to turn my big tires the pump gets hot and starts whining...

#7 · (Edited)
I took my machine out for a ride yesterday and I could tell that it was running cooler. The fan was still kicking in, so I think I'll take your advice and move it down to see if it helps any more. Do you have a current picture where yours is mounted nmkawierider?

The inlet/outlet size on the cooler that I bought is 11/32". If you buy a cooler that has an I/O size of 3/8", (which is more common), then you'll have to buy 3/8" I.D. hose and the proper barbs for the sandwich adapter. (not a big deal, just make sure everything is the right size for what you decide to order) 11/32" and 3/8" are close enough in size you could get away with mixing and matching a bit if needed.

The cooler kit came with enough hose to only run one side, so you'll have to buy additional hose to complete the setup. Summit sells them in 4.5' and 25' lengths. I bought the 25' hose because I did 3 machines at once. The 4.5' length is only $8.00

Here is my parts list:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NEX-16106/
(barbs, x2)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-105/
(11/32" hose)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-25772/
(sandwich adapter)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-13200/
(oil cooler)

My only complaint is that the fins on this particular cooler are pretty soft and bend real easy. If I was to do it again I would buy a cooler that is a bit more rugged, maybe go with a bar and plate design vs. a tube and fin design. I'm not too sure what to go with though, but for now I'll be careful when cleaning it and make sure the fins are nice and straight.

Again, this mod can be done in about half and hour, so next time you change your oil is a good time to do it!

Oil capacity was increased by about 10% as well. I went from about 2.2L for an oil change including the filter to about 2.4L or 2.5L.

#11 ·
I took my machine out for a ride yesterday and I could tell that it was running cooler. The fan was still kicking in, so I think I'll take your advice and move it down to see if it helps any more. Do you have a current picture where yours is mounted nmkawierider?
Yes...somewhere...lets see...

I moved it down enough so the bracket rested in this frame bracket.

This pic shows how low it sets.

#9 ·
Do you have a temp gauge on the bike?
Would like to know what your operating temp is.

#10 ·
No I don't, I wish I did though, then I could see some actual numbers for results! I am just going by how hot my leg feels against the side of the machine lol.

#14 ·
yea i didn't want to jack the thread, but nmkawie, that quad looks tough. those fronts look like they would be a bear after awhile.
Thanks, and yeah, they are after a weekend of riding. That's why I have my other set on right now..giving my shoulders a break...lol Hell of a tire though.

OK, back on topic :)

#16 ·
Cool, what cooler did you go with? Pics?

#17 ·
Same here and thanks to NMK input, I too am using the Hydraulic hose set-up, I went with a Long L7B oil Cooler, derale sandwich adapter/results= lower cooler oil temps.

#20 ·
I was lookin at the oil cooler and fan on my cousins big bear looks like it would work perfect has anyone tried one if them yet

#21 ·
Just ordered everythang I need to do this....an goin to get hydraulic lines made web I get everythang mocked upp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.