Mud in My Blood Forum banner

How To: KEBC Removal - KOD Method

70K views 89 replies 30 participants last post by  Nick_smallz 
#1 · (Edited)
i remove my kebc acuator using the KOD method which i got from his web page so i give him credit for it. i add an extra feature to it since the 4x4 indicator didn't work with his mod.

first i got a 5 pin relay from autozone it was $8.00 and also a inline fuse holder, a blade type it was $3.00 and and red light that was $4.00

first i piggybacked the fuse holder onto the large brown wire that comes from the 2 wire plug from the bottom of the fuse box and hooked it to the #85 terminal

i then took loose the controller and found the green wire with white stripe on the ccontroller plug , its on the underside of plug, i cliped it into and taped up the end from the controller and the other end splice onto and hooked to #30 terminal

next i found the plain green wire on the controller and piggybacked a wire onto it and hooked it to the#86 terminal

then i took a ground wire to the chassis and hooked it to #87a terminal
the #87 terminal i just put on a spade connector that is unused

i then sealed all the connectors with silicone and the wires to keep any water out

i then unpluged the kebc acturator and started the bike and road it , this mod works no flashing 2x4-4x4 and no limp mode.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very good write up. Thanks for taking the time to document it.

One question. Does the red light come on as soon as you flip the 4x4 switch or is it like the stock 4x4 indicator and only comes on when the 4x4 actually engages?

#3 ·
right now it is when i flip the switch, i need to do some more research and get the light hooked into the acuator it self to better know exactly what the 4x4 is doing .
this write up took almost 1 1/2 hours to do

#32 ·
right now it is when i flip the switch, i need to do some more research and get the light hooked into the acuator it self to better know exactly what the 4x4 is doing .
this write up took almost 1 1/2 hours to do
By installing the relay and the correct way, you are only going to see the inicator change when you flip the switch. That's all. It does not tell you that you are actually in 2 or 4wd because it doesn't know what the diff actuator is doing... only the switch.

If you want to know what the front diff is doing rather than your thumb on the switch, install one of these. http://www.diamondgracing.com/catalog/item/2034967/1653498.htm

#5 ·
i have renamed this thread to "How To: KEBC Removal - KOD Method "

wood butcher, thanks for a superb write-up and contribution to this site!

#6 ·
no ibbruin the 2x4 indicator stays on all the time , so that why i spliced a light into the switch. i want to try and hook it to the 4x4 acturator so i know when it really is engaged or not. right now the light comes on when i flip the switch. how is ur 4x4 indicator working with ur mod?

#9 ·
ok thats the same directions i have , but my 2x4 indicator stays on all the time. the problem i just ran into is trying to hook indicator light into acturator , i must have grounded out the acturator and now it wont do anything. so i took it off and hooked it up the the battery and it runs . do u think i may have poped the relay ? or is there something else i need to check?

#11 ·
is this what you are looking for?

Picture #7. The following 5 pictures are the work of FourwheelFurry. He has came up with a way to eliminate the KEBC and still use the 2wd/4wd lights on the dash. This will eliminate the flashing lights.

Picture #8. Below is the directions that FourwheelFurry sent me to post. I discovered this fix to the 2X4/4X4 light some time ago myself. This is a GREAT way to fix for cheep!! I have been running NO KEBC and my 2X4/4X4 light works exactly as it should. The relay is a simple 12Volt automotive style 5 prong relay. It can be purchased at many auto parts stors or like I did, gotten out of a junked car for free!!! First... the green/white wire (that you are supposed to clip), if you ground this wire the 4X4 will light up on the dash. Second... the 4X4 switch (mounded on the handle bar) is a 2 wire switch to ground. When it is in 2X4 the switch is closed (grounded) when it is in 4X4 the switch is open (ungrounded). Third... If you connect these two wires together (green/white and green) this will command the 4X4 to light on the dash WHEN the switch is in 2X4 mode and the dash will light 2X4 when the switch is in 4X4 mode (it operates backwards) Solution... I wired a simple 5 prong relay to reverse this operation an now it works perfect. This only reports what the switch sends and not what the controller is actually doing but I like to know when it is in 4X4 and this is good enough. The relay is wired as follows: Terminal 85 - Brown wire from ignition switch plug 12V + key-on Terminal 86 - Green wire from 4X4 handle bar switch Terminal 87 - nothing Terminal 87A - Green/White wire going to the dash 4X4 indicator Terminal 30 - Chassis ground I hooked up the relay in the front under the front fendors as it was easy to get to all of the connections from the switch and dash and also ignition 12V. It is also well hidden however, this can be done under the seat as all of the wires listed go to the controller.

#13 ·
hey ibbruin, i tried the test and green wire is battery - when switch is in 2x4 and battery + when in 4x4. does this mean my acturator is bad. it only quit working when i tried to hook my indicator light into the control motor. i think i grounded it out and and maybe fried it. the control motor works when i hook it straight to the battery.

#19 ·
all wire are hooked backup the kebc pluged back in . and yea i just got a known good acturator and pluged it in and still no 4x4. i dont know what else to check . fuse show hot on both sides of the fuse so they are go

#24 ·
alright guys so a little help here.... im confused with this mod do you still have to have a working 4x4 actuator to engage your four wheel drive?? my brute is stuck in 2 wheel drive and when i flip the switch too four wheel absolutly nothing happins no flashing lights or anything???? i fill like a dum a**

#25 ·
This mod doesn't do anything with the 4x4 actuator.. it just removes the engine brake actuator from the clutch cover... your 4x4 actuator on the front diff still needs to work properly...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.