Mud in My Blood Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the vid!! Never had a CV joint apart before but changed my inner boot in a little over an hour.

One comment though....before you can take the cup off, there's a retainer ring that has to come out. It's inside the cup, hidden in the grease.

I watched the vid a couple times after I got stumped on how to get it apart. The vid jumps from having the axle in your hand to it being apart on the bench. When you put it back together, I heard you say something about the clip. *a-ha*

And in the manual, it doesn't mention the clip...well, sort of. It runs through the procedure about 4 times, for each type of cv joint....the first couple types don;t have the clip.

Anyway, glad I outgrew the 'use a bigger hammer' stage a while back. :)

I now see that you mentioned it in note #3.....I read it it but it didn't register. (Who wants to read when there's a video to watch??)

Thanks again, it was a big help! Great to see stuff like that posted for us first-timers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry if this is a double post but the forum's doing some odd stuff for me right now.

Anyway....09 and '10 650i, inner (front or rear) is the same as the boots on nearly all Yamahas, Suzukis and a lot of the Hondas.
I found this info (see pic) and called the Yamaha dealer to see if I could buy their boots for a better price. He said they could get OEM but sell a ton of the aftermarket boot they carry. Hmmmm... He said they stock one aftermarket boot and it fits all the Yamahas. (Like the info in the pic)
I bought two kits, and just got done putting it in. It fit perfectly. And the kit (boot, grease and clamps) was only $15. (Dealer wanted $85 for the boot only)
I tried to find the universal kit but none of the parts places in town carried them.

Hope this helps someone out.
Here's some of the bikes that all use the same boot:

·
Registered
356 Posts
ok working on my front outter right now, anything different that I should be on the look out for or is it same concept?

·
Registered
188 Posts
anyone know a crossover for rear inner boot for 07 brute 750 ?? or something close i could cut down ...in canada ...

thanks any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
330 Posts
There are a few boots, tools and clamps to choose from at Amazon if you have time to wait. Links won't work so....
Search Dorman or Norrec Universal CV Boots

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I just put 2 Brono Universal boots on a couple of my spare fronts. They seem to be the best universal ive seen, but i have not ridden on them. Just like any CV boot replace, id recommend using industrial zip ties. They work the best, there easy to use and aren't sharp, so they won't cut through boots. A word of advice to everyone. Ive had LOTS of problems with CV boots, Bands cutting through them, Axles have so much of an angle they pop off the cups, and I wouldn't want anybody having to change 10+ boots in less then a year like I did its not fun. Contradictory to what people would probably think the THINNEST boot is the best. Why? They will stretch and move, you can run any CV angle so they wont have problems with the falling off. Also, they will be able to move and flex around debris, so it won't cut through it, it will simply get spit out opposed to a thick boot just taking all the hits from rocks/branches/mud. The Bronco Universal seems to fit the bill perfectly. I got them in Canada from my local Kawie/Can am Dealer.

Here's some pics of em. The 2 new boots are The Bronco's, the other 2 are stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
There $20 a piece from dealer and they will fit front, I imagine theyll fit rears but im not sure.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i found boots from a 1990 suzuki swift solid outters will fit 6 out of 8 boots on brute ....front inners are smaller ..

·
Registered
808 Posts
how do you take it apart like taking the cv off axle? hammer it off?

·
Registered
330 Posts
A few notes:

1. I used zip ties because I broke the bands with the banding tool. I guess I was tightening them too much.
This is the boot I used. It came with a boot, 2 bands and a blister pack of grease.

Here is a nasty boot peeps....

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp215/rolltide777/ATV/IMG_0596.jpg

Got it out only to find the bearing was stuck tight so I had to beat it apart. Luckily I already had the bearing on standby for future replacement.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp215/rolltide777/IMG_0586.jpg

more on that later if time allows...

Well I bought the same kit as above and like phree said the bands broke. I knew of bands I'd used before and after searching town I found them. Go to Home Depot and look for the bands below which are located in the Electrical section along with regular zip ties. All they had were 11" and 6" bands. Ideal length for the large end of the boot is 14" so I added a 11" and 6" together. Once these bands go on they will not come off, stainless steel and small enough to fit in the grooves of the axle and CV joint.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp215/rolltide777/ATV/IMG_0602.jpg

Use the same banding tool..this one came from Napa and tighten until the rubber boot starts to roll over the band. Release a little pressure and check to make sure the boot will not slip out of the grooves. If it might slip off tighten the band a tad more and recheck.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp215/rolltide777/ATV/IMG_0610.jpg

Cut the band with the banding tool and it leaves a short piece sticking through the clamp. You can try to cut this, don't as you may cut the boot, simply stick a pick or any small object under the extra band close to the clamp. Push down on the extra length of band and force it to bend over the pick. Once you remove the pick the extra strip of band should lay flat.
When done correctly it should look like this.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp215/rolltide777/ATV/IMG_0599.jpg

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp215/rolltide777/ATV/IMG_0598.jpg

So along with the boot kit above from Autozone, the banding tool from Napa, and the bands from Home Depot this is what you need.

http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp215/rolltide777/ATV/IMG_0605.jpg

Hope this is helpful guys.

Oh I took it for a spin and the boot looks good. Now for some real action in the woods and water.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I need to replaced the inner cv boot on my 09 750i and the right side (brake side) is it the same concept as what the video shows

·
Registered
48 Posts
sorry forgot a part inner right rear

·
Registered
762 Posts
How did you get the cup off with the race? Last time i did this i fought like h#@% to get the race and cup off past that C clip. I beat the snot out of it with a hammer. Did you just turn the cup and push the balls out or what?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
On a rear axle, One end has a spring loaded Circlip inside the cup. I believe it is the outer joint. The inner joint has a snap ring on the end of the axle. If you look really close at the inner edge of the cv joint, you will see a big retaining ring. I used an ice pick to get that ring out and then just pull the joint off. Catch all the balls as you do. lol. Then you can take the snap ring off to remove the inner part of the cv joint. I hammer mine apart before I realized it was different and had to find a replace snap ring because I broke it trying to get it out of the cup.

·
Registered
762 Posts
i need to replace the front inner. i guess when i go to replace it i will look and see if i can find that clip/
thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just replaced my left rear cv boots last weekend , inner and outer , the inner looked like it had twisted and ripped and the outer one had twisted and not ripped , not sure why they twisted .... anyhow.... first time I have done anything like this , it really wasnt that hard , I did what the vid said and made sure everything was cleaned up and no dirt remained , put it all back together and while the axle was in the vice I moved it around to make sure there was no binding or anything , pulled it in and out ect ect , I didnt find anything out of the normal , it moved freely , so I put it all back together and took the bike for a small run around the yard and after about 2 mins there is a noise coming from the axle , the best way to describe it is , it kind of sounds like when someone puts to big of tires on there bike and they are not moving very fast and the treads/lugs rub the plastic and make that popping noise every time a lug rubs the plastic .

Any ideas what it could be ? I'm not an expert on axles and so forth lol .

·
Registered
291 Posts
So yesterday i used the bike to do some yard work and the noise I described in my previous post only happens when i turn to the left , it does not do it when I go straight or turn to the right and it is definetly coming from the left rear axle , I can not figure out why or what is causing it . the neighbors must have thought I was going crazy watching me yesterday driving around slowly in circles in the front yard trying to see what is causing the noise lol .

61 - 80 of 82 Posts