Mud in My Blood Forum banner

How to: Replace fan breaker with fuse

51K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Slydog 
#1 ·
In an attempt to get my fan back working I realized we did not have any how to's on this topic so here goes my attempt to maybe help someone with this issue in the future. Sorry the pictures were taken as an afterthought but should be pretty clear.

All current brutes 05-12 Carb and EFI have a small breaker in the fan circuit. These breakers tend to corrode, stop working, or have the prongs break off. You can eliminate this issue by replacing it with an in line fuse.

The breaker can be found just behind the solenoid switch. There should be a white wire and a blue wire with white stripe going to it. As you can see my white wire broke off.
Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Family car
Auto part

Given the harsh electrical conditions most of us put our bikes through with all the mud and water I decided to replace mine with a weather resistant fuse holder I could seal up and had a light if it blows. EasyID by Bussman part# BP/ATM-FHID.
Transparency Fictional character

Disconnect your positive battery cable before working on the breaker as it has power even with the key off. Simply cut the two wires that went to the breaker and connect them to your fuse holder. I chose to use butt connectors with heat shrink ends built in but they can be done however you want as long as it has a solid connection.
Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Cable Electrical supply

The original breaker is a 10 amp breaker so put a 10 amp fuse back in the holder. You can now test it and see if it works. If you already have a manual fan switch it will be much easier to test. Here is a link for the different setups:
MudInMyBlood Forums - View Single Post - Radiator Fan Switch (Just one more version)

Once you know everything works I recommend sealing the holder to prevent and future corrosion issues with the fuse. I opened the holder and put silicone around it then closed the top and smeared it around the edges.
Auto part Carburetor Engine Fuel line Vehicle

Note: The fuse holder I chose uses ATM type fuses not the ATC type that are in the fuse block already. I couldn't find one that carried ATC fuses that was weather resistant when I went to buy mine. Using an ATC one would be better since that would keep all your fuses the same type for easy sparing and field fixes.

See less See more
Reactions: phreebsd
#3 ·
Nice write-up....as many times as we've covered this I can't believe we just now have an actual How-To for it lol.

#4 ·
Good write like filthy said surprised we didn't have it already.

commando tapatalk

#5 ·
Thanks guys. Hopefully someone gets some use out of it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I'll get use out of it for sure , been wanting to do this for a while , just never really got around to it .

Awesome job on the "how to" by the way

I love this site !!!

#7 ·
Great write up! This is the most informative site I've ever been on. And nobody bashes anybodies ideas or trys to one up them. I actually know that I can do some of these jobs on my Brute now that would normally have sent it back to the dealer for repair. Thanks for the great forum. I tip my muddy hat to you fellas.

#9 ·
just had to do this to my buddies bike as his white wire broke/corroded right off now works like a charm......this is def a good writeup and simple mod

#12 ·
#13 ·
Note: The fuse holder I chose uses ATM type fuses not the ATC type that are in the fuse block already. I couldn't find one that carried ATC fuses that was weather resistant when I went to buy mine. Using an ATC one would be better since that would keep all your fuses the same type for easy sparing and field fixes.
FYI I learned a couple weeks ago that the new 2012 Brutes use the small ATM fuses for it's new fuse block. So for 2012s the fuse holder I used above would be the perfect match so all the fuses are the same for ease of sparring.

#14 ·
Thank you so much I was wounding why my fan wasn't coming on looked under seat and white wire broke off

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

My antifreeze kept dropping does that make sence with the rad not kicking in

#16 ·
Guys there is a breaker in there for a reason. using a fuse is going to cause lots of blown fuses especially if you fan gets muddy or your in deeper water.
there are resettable breakers out there a dime a dozen. the difference between a breaker and fuse is a breaker will allow it to run up to 125% of its rating for a set about of time. that way you hit a little water its going to delay time before it trips out.
mine is bad rite now. i have alot of those resettable style breakers. and going to replace with that. it also indicates when its blown. im not using the auto reset like whats on there already but manual reset.
even your auto part store has $5 auto reset, or amazon type 10A 12vdc circuit breaker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.