Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some Polaris machines use an impulse fuel pump between the fuel tank and the carburetor. It works well as long as fuel is in the lines. However, sometimes it needs a little help overcoming vacuum lock. This most often occurs after long storage periods, or after you run out of gas, and the engine stalls. You crank and crank, but the machine refuses to fire. Sometimes, you can apply the choke to a warm engine, and it will start, other times it may only pop, but not fire up and run. There is a way to fix this.

Remove the seat.

At the front of the air box, you will see a rubber 'horn' for the intake. Simply put your hand over the intake horn, sealing it off the best you can, and crank the engine. Usually, within 10 seconds of cranking or so, it will fire. Remove your hand as quickly as it fires up, to prevent flooding the engine. Better yet is to have a friend hold their hand over the intake, and you apply throttle as you crank. What you are doing is trying to increase the vacuum enough to overcome the vacuum lock in the fuel lines.

Some machines have a snorkel, or intake that disappears up near the gas tank that you can't conveniently cover. If this is the case, remove the air box cover, and air filter. Cover the intake to the carb as best you can (even a sock sometimes works). You may have to be inventive, but if you can block off the intake enough to build up good vacuum, you will draw the fuel to the carb.

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts
good post! :bigok:

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Good Contribution!

·
Registered
18 Posts
my 2009 sportsman 500 HO has been in storage for a few months and now it will not start. Dealer said that the gas in the carb. has turned into varnish and needs cleaning. any suggestions

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Should be a drain on the carb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scrambler not getting fuel

Hello,
Thanks for the tip on how to get fuel to the carb.
I bought an '07 scrambler in the fall and it ran when i was looking at it and when i unloaded it. I didn't have any time to use it and it sat for a couple of months. When i finally got some time to use it, it wouldn't start. I just got a chance to look into it last weekend and found out it wasn't getting fuel. I tried a few things before searching on the internet and coming across this tip. I tried plugging the intake and when i do this, the machine runs for a few seconds and then dies. I haven't had a chance to look at it any more but i was thinking there might be a problem with the fuel filter or fuel pump so i bought a fuel filter and rebuild kit for the fuel pump. Do you guys think either of these might be the problem? Or is there something else i should look at first?
Please let me know if this isn't the place to post this.
Thanks,

George

·
Registered
41 Posts
i don't know about you guys in the US but here in Canada our full is garbage the cheapest gas will go bad after 1 month of sitting and therefor plug your carb up and possibly rot the gaskets in the carb so if you are going to have anything sitting for more than 1 month you should fill it with premium gas and also put fuel stabilizer (this will keep the gas good for about 6 months $16 here) in it and make sure you run your bike/appliance for a little bit after putting the stabilizer in your gas to get it into your carb and same thing goes with Jerry cans hope this helps

·
Registered
457 Posts
Good post. Another helpful tip is if the fuel pump or system is vacuum operated it won't work very well without an air filter for the same reason there's not enough restriction to build vacuum and suck fuel into the carb. Covering the carb intake will cause it to creat vacuum and suck fuel into the carb.

So if you're having trouble getting started without an air filter that's why!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great and helpful post. This post helped me out with my 2004 Sportsman a lot. However one thing that we had to do extra that's not mentioned in this thread is to unmount the pump itself and drop it down and let gravity feed fuel into the pump and it started dripping out of the supply outlet for the carb. Then turn the key over turning the engine over and wait for the fuel to start squirting out of the supply line for the carburetor. Hook the line back up and turn the motor over and you will notice the fuel filter filling up, put the choke all the way on and let it run with the choke on once it starts for a few seconds and then turn the choke off and you should be good to go!!! Had to choke mine a few times to get everything full of fuel again but few tries later and she was purring like a lion!

T. King
GGB Inc.
GvilleBlasting.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Old post but just saved me a ton of troubleshooting. Thank you!!!!. Just bought a used trailboss 330 worked great test driving it. Got it home. was moving it and it died. Ran out of gas. put new gas in it. wouldn't start...... Spent a 1/2 hour scratching my head then decided to search and found this article. Took a bit to get it to work. but what worked for me was taking off the Air filter and covering the hole with my fingers flat across the hole. (when i did the palm of my hand it didnt work). but i think the fingers allow just enough air but also causes suction to get the fuel moving.. Anyways. Rig is up and running again... Thanks again to OP

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I really need some help! My husband and I have a 2016 Polaris sportsman 570 EFI it only has 10 hours of running time . However it had set up for a while and then I ran it out of gas and could not get it restarted. I were afraid the fuel lines may be gummed up so I have thoroughly cleaned out the entire fuel system put an inline fuel filter on it and replace the fuel injector and spark plugs. it seems like it's getting too much air intake. When I try to crank it the only way that we can get it to start is by placing my hand over the snorkel top of the air intake with the air filter and everything attached to the carburetor. If I remove my hand it seems like it's sucking way too much air and the four wheeler shuts off. Can someone please give me some tips on this.

·
Administrator
15,438 Posts
if it ran fine before, I would think something is clogging the fuel still. If this only started after you snorkeled it, then you may need to adjust the air/fuel ratio. Typically though, snorkeling restricts air.... it very seldom increases air flow. So I would think you're still not getting enough fuel to match the amount of air youre getting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts