Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is a cheap way to gain top end. My brute with dyna cdi, pink primary, stock secondary, full big gun exhaust and more important FCP motor work will do 81-82 with this setup. I am not sure how much I gained from just this as i did it when i did all the other stuff.

First you take your cvt cover off and remove the bolt for the primary. Then remove the 8 10mm bolts from the primary cover like you would to change primary spring. Go buy a pack of washers from any hardware store they will need to be big enough for the 8 bolts to fit through and are same thickness and diameter of a penny.

Place the washers between the cover and the sheave where the screws screw into.

Thats all. someone should do a comparison stock to this setup. It should gain a few MPH.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Would this do the same as getting a lighter primary spring?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Yes and No!

The yes part. It will make the spring lighter only because there's less preloaded on it do to the washers. but not much. You'll not likely fell it.

The no part. What this is really doing is allowing the primary sheaves to close more and the secondary to open more at top-end. Hence giving you over drive. This will not affect you getting there but you'll have more mph. If I recall this alone is good for 2 or 3 mph on a stocker. pretty good for 8 10c washers

However you can take this even farther and machine the primary,and the primary sheaves to get 8 to 10mph more out of it.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is some more info of why it works and compares it to the vfj stage 3

With stock cdi and all the other mods with me and my girl on there (250 lbs total maybe more) i hit 75

Background of how this works. Without the washers there the cover hits the spider before the clutch sheaves ever bottom out. By putting these washers in there you are basically achieving the same affect as you would from a dalton cover minus the lighter weight of the cover. With the washers the sheaves will come all the way together. it doesnt seem like much but i have not heard of anyone with a stock clutch do 80 on a brute. Almost30s has vfj stage 3 and i was right with him on top end. The stage three though is better than this mod because you get increased gas mileage and effectivley lower rpms at any givin speed. I was told that on average the stage 3 offers 3 tenths in 300' and +12 mph on top. He also said the with his clutch you would use the same power to get to 67 as you did getting to 45 stock.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Good write up...thanks man.

·
Administrator
15,430 Posts
I think I might give it a try.... I already know what my max top speed is.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
the 8 10mm bolts from the primary cover........can you take on eout at a time and replace with the washer or does it have pressure against it requireing a tool?

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
no tool needed. just remove all the bolts and put washers in.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
No you need all 8 bolts out.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually you need to take all 8 out at the same time because 2 of them have a lip that slides into the mounting hole to align it correctly, but no tool is needed except for a torque wrench to re tighten the clutch bolt.

I have thought about taking the dremal tool to my clutch cover and take some material off where it hits so there will be no need for the washers. But this works and i have enough money for vfj stage 3 so i wont be running this anymore.

But i need to decide vfj stage 3 or dynotune?

·
Registered
3 Posts
dyno tune lol. .and hes not lieng about keeping up with me. .we were racing and we were dead even and when we started getting to about 70 i started thinking yeah im bout to start pulling so 75,76,77,78 i look over and hes still there. ..79,80,81 bbbaarreeelllyy starting to pull on him. ..i mean like inching lol. ..i was like WTF dude you didnt have to lie and say you didnt have a stg3 lol.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
haha nice.
I would try this but man my 31's wobble at 40!

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
almost30s its gonna be neither of those 2 options i have a better option. can we all say 801 on the BOTTLE:rockn:

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Got a question, how would this mod work with a V-Force John Stage 2 clutch mod?

·
Registered
127 Posts
can you combo this with other clutch simple clutch mods to get even more? If so what would be the mods?

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is all the top end the stock clutch will allow for because the sheaves are the limiting factor after this so to gain more you need vfj stage 3. The washers do the same thing the Dalton overdrive cover does.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts