Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i have beatmy head against the wall trying to sort this out.......ive pulled and cleaned the switch....pull the front actuator, tore apart and cleaned, lubed and reassembled. thought maybe i had the actuator outta orientation.....its in the operative angle range.....so i decide im gonna take it out for a spin.....stop....switch to 4wd after 1.5 rotations its shows 4wd on display but my front wheels arent pulling.....stop switch it back to 2wd and i get the 1sec flash intervals.....so one would say BINGO 4wd actuator is bad......but heres the twist....THE FRONT WHEELS ARE NOW PULLING WHILE IT FLASHES 2wd/4wd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:261: try toggeling the switch.....no change. turn the bike off and you hear the 4wd actuator pull out to 2wd!!!! ive checked fuses....connections under the fuse box....cleaned with electrical contact cleaner....re-applied dielectric grease. only thing i havent done yet was pull the KEBC actuator. im thinking of just bypassing the whole durn thing!!!! wish me luck!!! if anyone else has had similar issues PLZ PLZ PLZ chime in!!!!

soory for the long ranting post!!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The actuator you're hearing when you turn the switch off, are you positive it's the 4WD actuator and not the KEBC ? The 4WD should not move when you turn the key off.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am positive it is the 4wd act. as soon as you key off it moves then the KEBC does its usual noises.......i also am not loosing engine braking it works perfectly!! its super strange

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IBBRUIN i cant txt you a video for you to heare yourself..........super weird.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
sorry i fell off the phone texts. i got the phone back from my daughter now.

when I key off i hear the kebc but right before it i hear the isc valve moving. i never hear the front actuator doing anything. yers is 06 so you wont have the ISC assembly.

have you tried another actuator controller?
(sorry if i missed it and you said you already had)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no i havent tried one yet...dont have anyone else real close with a brute anymore. sometimes when you randomly crank it up it flashes and it jumps into 4wd without flipping the switch at all..........the first noise you hear phree is the 4wd actuator...you can put your hand on it and feel it

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i guess it could be worse......i could not have 4wd at all.....now i just have it when im not suppose to......im thinking maybe the actual 4wd switch.....the surround around it is cracked and it was full of mud but i cleaned it out best i could. gonna try buying one of those and go from there........anyone think it could be a KEBC actuator issue??

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
quote from nyroc

"I took apart my 4x4 actuator and it did not need any lubrication since it doesn't work as hard as the KEBC. The 4x4 actuator output shaft cannot rotate 360 degrees when installed (the correct orientation in 2x4 is 9:eek:clock looking at the shaft end of the actuator with the breather tube pointint up, the little rotating block hangs downward when you install it). If the 2x4 4x4 is flashing, remove the cap (remember the orientation of the cap), flip the switch to 2x4 and you can twist the motor many time until it stops. Twist it the other way many times until it stops. Twist it approximately half as many times and then turn the key on, if it says 2x4, try putting it back together and see if it will work. If the 2x4 4x4 flashes again when you flip to 4x4, you may have the motor cap installed incorrectly and that makes th motor turn backwards. Take a look and the little dimples on the motor cap. Make them match the exact orientation on you KEBC, or just rotate it 120 degrees and try again. "

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was having issues with my Prairie staying in 4wd. My KEBC worked fine but it would not come out of 4wd, even thought the 4wd light was not on. I checked the 4wd actuator and it worked when hooked to a battery charger. I bought a used actuator control unit to replace mine and all is good now. Not the same problem you are having but that may be your issue. When I plugged the new one in, I got a little nervous because both actuators started making noises, my belt and 4wd light started blinking really fast and my spedo jumped up then settled back down. My oil and neutral light went really dim like the battery was dead. I turned the key off waited a little and turned it back on and everything was fine. I think the CDI was just setting itself. A new actuator controller box is around $300 but I found a used one for $85

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
quote from nyroc

"I took apart my 4x4 actuator and it did not need any lubrication since it doesn't work as hard as the KEBC. The 4x4 actuator output shaft cannot rotate 360 degrees when installed (the correct orientation in 2x4 is 9:eek:clock looking at the shaft end of the actuator with the breather tube pointint up, the little rotating block hangs downward when you install it). If the 2x4 4x4 is flashing, remove the cap (remember the orientation of the cap), flip the switch to 2x4 and you can twist the motor many time until it stops. Twist it the other way many times until it stops. Twist it approximately half as many times and then turn the key on, if it says 2x4, try putting it back together and see if it will work. If the 2x4 4x4 flashes again when you flip to 4x4, you may have the motor cap installed incorrectly and that makes th motor turn backwards. Take a look and the little dimples on the motor cap. Make them match the exact orientation on you KEBC, or just rotate it 120 degrees and try again. "
Phree,
Glad you found this little write up. I still have the actuator off of my wifes brute cause I had to deploy. putting it back together when we return after easter and I forgot the position of the little cam on the actuator:thinking:

:mimbrules:

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
there's also this from the manual!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think imma try replacing my 4wd/2wd switch first....the rubber around the switch was torn and the switch was full of mud. Tried cleaning it out and maybe the contacts are just stuck together or something......then I'm gonna move onto the actuator box....

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
The switch is either open or closed. Open for 4WD, closed for 2WD. Pretty simple really. I don't think it will cause the problems you describe but ya never know.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
I'm still betting on my gut feeling, Quick!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm trying to figure out how many times to turn the potientiometer.........I feel sooooo lost!!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If you have a manual, follow it step by step. If you don't have a manual, you can download one right here after you become a subscribing member.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guess I need to subscribe huh???

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
We're posting as much as possible, Phree has taken snapshots out of the manual, we're trying but unfortunately we can't post the entire service manual up, this thread would be several pages long. LOL A hard copy is around 50 bux, IMO a subscription here is much more valuable but that's up to each indivudal to decide. We'll hang in right here for ya until you figure it out even if you don't subscribe!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks IBBruin......i didnt have any time to tinker with it this evening...maybe tomorrow. the 4wd is kinda working......what i mean by kinda is.....if i flip the switch to 4wd and then start the bike it shows 4wd but is actually 2wd.........if i flip it back to 2wd it flashes the 4wd/2wd and then I HAVE 4WD!!!!! but after that it stays in 4wd untill you cut the bike off.....as soon as you key off the 4wd actuator goes back to 2wd and the KEBC does its normal thing...........really screwy huh??

1 - 20 of 51 Posts