Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you all go about getting the winch cable unkinked and wound up like it was new again?

Tried tieing it to the Trailblazer and it's better, but as soon as I unwind it again on the trail, it gets all f'ed up again.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
replace with synthetic rope.once a cable gets a memory in it not much you can do.

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
replace with synthetic rope.once a cable gets a memory in it not much you can do.
That costs $$.....I was looking for the cheap option :)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
hate to say it but sandman is correct and plus the amsteel is so much easier and stronger then the cable and goes in and out so smooth def worth it ;)

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, but the new EBA, clutch springs, plastics, foot rests, etc.... got me broke and want a CDI next, not a winch cable.

Maybe all the Honda's I'm pulling out should foot the bill? Not like I'm using it... :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
You can go to your local hardware store and buy winch cable. It's probably got some kind of plastic coating on it. I just removed the coating, and thread it on my winch. Costs allot less than buying an actual "winch cable"

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can go to your local hardware store and buy winch cable. It's probably got some kind of plastic coating on it. I just removed the coating, and thread it on my winch. Costs allot less than buying an actual "winch cable"
On the Viper website it's only $14.99 for basic winch cable, but $55.00 - $90.00 (depending on the kit) for the Amsteel or synthetic.

·
Breaker of things
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
betcha it's 35 after shippin
To Canada, probably $100.00...lol

Seriously, they are great to deal with. We purchased 3 winches from them at the same time and they shipped them all in one package, saving a bundle in shipping.

Always call or email anyone before ordering online, you'd be amazed what deals you can get!!

·
MIMB Resident Mud Chick
1,129 Posts
We mainly use a tow rope (probably 8-10' long) with hooks on each end and only use the winches if we can't get close. Then, like AUBruterider said, keep the tension on when winding it back up.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Buy a comealong
Works for me after the winch and cable broke in same hole

·
MIMB Resident Mud Chick
1,129 Posts
Wouldn't you have the same problem....getting the cable wound up nicely after it's out the full length and really muddy?

Just sayin....

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
ebay has sum good deal on amsteel

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I understand you cituation with the money, but I also agree with the Amsteal rope.

·
Kajun Mud Slingers
1,616 Posts
i bought my Viper Max with the amsteel rope on it for $209 plus shipping and taxes and it came out to be like 250 or so but i love it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts