Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have gone through a bunch of threads but not finding anything that gives a full answer.

In my other thread, the issue turned out to be a damaged waterpump mechanical seal. Replaced both parts, now what's happening is that when the engine is running coolant is pouring out the weeping hole.

Is there a specific orientation for the engine side of the seal to go in? There did seem to be a paint mark on one spot. Or is this a try and burp it more type issue?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
7,433 Posts
Have gone through a bunch of threads but not finding anything that gives a full answer.

In my other thread, the issue turned out to be a damaged waterpump mechanical seal. Replaced both parts, now what's happening is that when the engine is running coolant is pouring out the weeping hole.

Is there a specific orientation for the engine side of the seal to go in? There did seem to be a paint mark on one spot. Or is this a try and burp it more type issue?

Mechanical seals are made up of two parts. A Porcelain side and a Phenolic side. The two surfaces are machined to work together and the coolant/water is used as the lubricant. One side, usually the impeller side, has a spring so that constant pressure is maintained. So, yes, the direction is important to say the least. Some other fun facts on these seals is that any contamination on the surface...such as oil, grease or even a finger print will prevent it from sealing and must consider it destroyed as it...in most cases.. can not be removed. Only water or coolant may be use during assembly and its best of rubber gloves are used. Of course in addition these parts must be seated correctly as well.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should have been a bit more descriptive. I meant rotational orientation, as in does the paint mark go up, down, left, right etc.

Just not sure what could be opening up the seal, but only when the engine is running. I ordered another one in case this one is just not functioning properly but it's a week away.

·
Administrator
15,421 Posts
rotational orientation should not matter...

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is only one way to install it where the two surfaces mate. Just go by the book.
Did that, read the threads here, and watched a few vids just to make sure of the order.

Everything is in properly, everything is clean, nothing is damaged, checked or over tightened it does not leak when off, only when running.

I'll wait for the new set to show and change it all again. Maybe they were bad.

·
7,433 Posts
Did that, read the threads here, and watched a few vids just to make sure of the order.

Everything is in properly, everything is clean, nothing is damaged, checked or over tightened it does not leak when off, only when running.

I'll wait for the new set to show and change it all again. Maybe they were bad.

Did you replace the bearing? If it is bad then while rotating it will cause the seal..not to seal as it jumps around but when stopped it will seal...:) Or if for some reason the shaft is bent...or the bearing on the oil pump side is bad...same thing.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bearing? No it was within specs and so was the shaft. It is straight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts