Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went wheeling this weekend and after snapping an axle and fixing that after riding a around i got off to check my brute for weeds mud etc. and i see white fluid all over my skid plates (water and oil yay) and look closer to see moving gears right behind where the coolant overflow bottle is!!:eek: I have a huge crack/ hole there.. any ideas why this happend? i have full skid plates and everything maybe too hot and water cracked it? idk

Time to get it torn down to nothin and put in a new case i think.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
area you are talking is bevel grears. bet you broke one or some teeth and it got wedged between the gear and the casing and it popped a hole out.

·
SAY I WON'T!!!
997 Posts
Man that sucks!! I have been very fortunate on my Brute so far...no breaks at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what the heck would cause a gear to just go i wasnt even romping on it cuz after just dropping $250 into a new axle that morning it settled me down a bit it.... oh and the thing only has like 800 miles on it...thing still drove great after the incident cuz i drove it atleast a half mile before even noticing it

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
might have just been a dud that finally broke.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so no one has ever heard this of happenig? couldnt be from it being hot then goin in a pond or the prevous owner ran the front end into a hill or wall i think myabe stress cracked it? (doubt it) ....
So most likely an internal thing youre thinking? so what now when i tear down and fix it, im pretty much rebuilding the freaking thing i found a used case on ebay thinking of goin that route idk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any advice on what i should do here? i really dont wanna take it to a dealer cuz they will charge me an arm and a leg to fix it. any other places in MN that may be good to go? Or should i just try to find a new motor or part this thing out etc.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
if u get a used case make sure you get both halves.
they are machined as a set.

Ive seen motors for sale from 800 to 1800. maybe pickup a used dead motor and make 1 good one out of the two.

·
SAY I WON'T!!!
997 Posts
I seen some on HL last night. I think it was $400 for one, and $750 for both. Both needed rebuilds. Not sure on the condition of the cases

·
Registered
94 Posts
Been there done that and what causes it is your shifter linkage is out of adjustment and it more than likely jumped out of gear.Good luck because you probly will need some trans gears also.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Any advice on what i should do here? i really dont wanna take it to a dealer cuz they will charge me an arm and a leg to fix it. any other places in MN that may be good to go? Or should i just try to find a new motor or part this thing out etc.
Hay pm me I do this stuff on the side and Know some good shops up hear.:rockn:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts