Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK today i started rerouting my air intake snorkel with 2 1/2 PVC. The 2'' has worked great ever since i done them but I've alway felt they were a little restrictive in comparison to the stock intake so I've had it on my mind to re run them with 2 1/2 for some time now.

Today i was bored and the weather was nice so i jumped on it. Heres were I'm at now. I tried to run them under the frame bar like most have been doing as of late but the 2 1/2 fittings are much larger then the 2". Even with them butted tight together theres just not enough room to run them under the bar. So i ran them around.As you can see in the pics i have room to do this, but I'm not sure i want to do it this way. I would still like to run it under the bar for less turns.I'm sure even with a few turns it's gonna breath way better then the way i had it but I'd still like to keep it as stright as i can. I could do this if i had a longer rubber hose.I could run a hose from the air box under the bar to a 90. From the 90 i would just run straight up beside my other snorkel tubes.

Anyone got a good idea were i might find a rubber house of this diameter that i could just cut to the length i want. I was thinking maybe a radiator hose for a diesel engine might be around that size?? Any suggestions? If i cant find a hose i can always run it like it is in the pics.

Nothing is glued yet. Its just stuck together.

Look how much bigger the 2 1/2" is compared to the 2"

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
that should flow.

·
Lets Get It
338 Posts
You could cut the fittings down to try to get it to work?
If you have about a half inch or more of area to glue them up with it should work, with good glue, being theres no pressure on it ?!?!

·
Lets Get It
338 Posts
well i dont know after looking at the pics again you would have to cut alot down

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kawa650 i actually thought about cutting them down but it still looks like it would be bad close to not working. Tomorrow I'm gonna see if i can find the rubber hose( don't have a clue were to look yet) and see how that does. I may just use it like it is. It has to flow way better then before. As good as stock I'm hoping.:fingersx:

Air flow is limited by the opening in the front of the air box and the 2 1/2" pipe looks to have close to the same surface area as the stock air box opening.

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
what's the clear rubber hose u got goin?

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
going to a two and a half inch pipe you should flow fine assuming you are running a stock internal motor . You could always run duals .

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
trust me, steve and i just changed ours and we both felt a great increase in power and for that lil hesintation i had at the beginning is all gone now, by just using 2in but running underneath rather then around

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
trust me, steve and i just changed ours and we both felt a great increase in power and for that lil hesintation i had at the beginning is all gone now, by just using 2in but running underneath rather then around
I don't doubt that lilbigtonka. Under defiantly looks like the best way for the 2". But I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone by giving it all the air it needs now and down the road if i decide to go bigger( you never know). The 2 1/2 should be all I'll ever need....hopfully.

I know i could do the double snorkel but thought i'd try something different.

·
Lets Get It
338 Posts
Well if you know of a place that works on semi trucks stop in and see if they have some old radiator hoses, might find something that works.
Or see if a parts store will let you look around at theirs, but i dont think a regular auto parts store will have a hose the size your looking for, never hurts to see :)

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I'm curious to see how this turns out. Keep in mind that it's not a fair comparison in size in the two elbows though. The 2 1/2" elobow in the pic is a high pressure 90 and the 2 is a low pressure. (At least it appears) The high pressure fittings are a little bigger even when comparing the same size. I just changed the 90's on top of my snorkles to high pressure. Mostly because they looked better, but were also a little bigger inside diameter as well.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Something I've always done on all the intake snorkels I've made is to cut a chamfer or radius on the inside wall of the pvc in the direction of the air flow. The square cut corners cause more turbulence inside the pipe thus restricting the air flow to your air box. It may not help much but every little bit helps when you're trying to help them bad boys breath. It can be done easily with a dremel or high speed air tool.

Sorry about the crude pic. I can draw in CAD but this was done in paint with the touch pad on my laptop while driving down the road with one knee but I think it helps get my point across.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Both are schedule 40 fittings. Heres a pic of the pipes. While its not a huge difference its still a difference. Should flow much better through the bends.You really can see the difference when you look inside the turns of the 90's

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
Mathmatically it's like this
2" pipe = 12.57 sq in area
2.5" pipe = 19.63 sq in area

that's 36% more area and 36% more potential air flow increase.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Look around for some different style 90 fittings I got some from ACE that were male on one end and female on the other . The flow on these was much better than standard fittings . I am using 2'' pipe not 2 1/2 ''

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK done a test run with it the way you see it in the pics. Throttle response was great!! I might just leave it alone and glue it the way it sits.

Out of boredom i went ahead and changed the secondary spring too( again) this morning. I have this down to a science now and can be done start to finish in less then a hour.LOL

This time i put the Dalton plain purple in there. On the short run i done i think its gonna work really good. Helps to hold the RPMs up at lower speed but really opens up nice for higher speeds. I had the stock secondary in and it was working nicely with the EPI maroon primary abd stock clutch but after i added the VFJ Stage 3 clutch the stock secondary spring was no longer strong enough on the low end. The stage 3 clutch transfers up the sheaves at a faster rate with less RPM's then the stock clutch did so i found myself out of the power rage at lower speeds and not enough back shift. The Dalton plain purple feels good in this area what little i tested it this morning.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
springs

Do you still have the stock Primary spring ? I have heard the brute springs were stiffer than a Prairie spring and worked well in a Prairie . Is that true ?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes the Brute spring is a little stiffer then the Prairie spring and yes i still have mine. I also have a EPI Pink as well. One of these days I'm gonna stick it in there and see how it works with the VFJ clutch.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts