Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy from Wyoming, First off, great site with lots of info! I have a 07 Brute Force 650 (live axle) with 400 miles on the clock. It has a few mods: EPC clutch kit, K&N, 2" lift, ss wheels and Maxis mud bugs (28", HMF pipe, winch, full skid and front guard set-up, and I am adding a Dynojet kit and hand/throttle warmers (Wyoming, its cold). Well on to the opinions; I just bought my wife a 08 Grizzly 700 EPS (stock with 230 miles) got a smoking deal on it and she loves it but the problem is so do I. I am thinking of selling the BF 650 and getting another grizzly. WHY: Our ridding will consist of rocky mountain trails and hunting (game retrieval), we don't have any mud to speak of. Having not taken the BF on any trails yet (got to wait till spring) I am thinking the live axle will be a big disadvantage and the carbs (vs the grizzly FI) will be a problem as we will ride anywhere from 4000ft to 10000ft in elevation. So... What do the experts think? Will the live axle be a disadvantage? If so, how much (i.e. is it worth spending $$ to replace it)? Other thoughts on the issue? Additionally, I am heaving running problems (starting and idle). The past owner didn't ride it much so I am puling the carbs, cleaning, installing a Dynojet kit, and replacing the enricher springs with the stronger KLR springs. Any other thought as to what the issue might be? When I have carb issue it sure makes the Grizzly fuel injection look good to me. I hate to spend the money for another quad (even if I do sell the BF) and would have to start over with the mods :-( Looking forward to your thoughts? Thanks Allen

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
I think the EPI grizzly would be great for your application especially if you get the EPS model. With the riding area you describe, that EPS is going to help keep the handlebars from being ripped out of your hands on fast, rough terrain. The EFI, as you said, will make jetting issues, due to elevation, a passing memory. The independent rear suspension is going to make a better trail machine and rock crawler due to the flexing ability of the suspension. You dont get that with a SRA (single rear axle) bike.

You will have to start over on the mods but, hey, that's half the fun!

Welcome to the community, mate!

·
Resident Canuck!
180 Posts
Might I suggest an 08 or 09 Brute Force? Fuel Injection, IRS, good trail machine I use mine for hunting and it gets me everywhere I need to go.

·
Administrator
15,426 Posts
Might I suggest an 08 or 09 Brute Force? Fuel Injection, IRS, good trail machine I use mine for hunting and it gets me everywhere I need to go.
:agreed:

But the grizz would be just as good for your applications.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
get a fi brute

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
f da grizz! nah, they're good machines. you definitely need to upgrade to something fuel injected though, since your riding altitude varies so greatly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts