Mud in My Blood Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm running stock tires and clutch on a 2016 kawasaki brute force 750. Looking to upgrade tires without upgrading clutch if possible. How big can I go with mud/trail tires? If I need to upgrade clutch as well, what's the best tire size and brand/clutch combination?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Welcome. Mud and trail usage are very different and as such the loads through the CVT system are also very different. The 2012s and up have a redesigned clutch that in general, can handle average muding and simi-agressive trail riding on tires up to 28"(on more offset wheels as rubbing will happen) as weight each up to about an additional 10-11lbs over stock. The stock tires are about 14.2-15.0 lbs. Over that weight or more dedicated mud usage will require clutch tuning, not replacement. Over 28s will require a lift kit. If it were me I would stay with 27s if my riding was 50/50 mud & trails, 26s if it were 60+% trails and 40% mud...and I would pop for a set of wheels that allowed me to run square and 10" wides all the way around with a 7 or 8" width...say 5+3, 5+2, 4+4, 4+3. With these you may want a set of overfenders. Direction2 makes a great set.

If you will be needed a clutch tune VFJ (VFORCEJOHN) is the authority on all the new and old Kawasaki clutch setups. Contact him as to your needs. He has a web site for contact info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the info. What exactly do you mean by ". 10" wides all the way around with a 7 or 8" width...say 5+3, 5+2, 4+4, 4+3. "? And would you do a clutch upgrade with 27 or 28" wheels?

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info. What exactly do you mean by ". 10" wides all the way around with a 7 or 8" width...say 5+3, 5+2, 4+4, 4+3. "? And would you do a clutch upgrade with 27 or 28" wheels?
Tires come in different heights, widths and - rim sizes...as in for a bead size of 12 or 14" and widths from 6-8" wide. The stock wheels(rims) are different front and back, forcing you to use different width tires. Making them the same and buying all the tires the same width allows you to go what is called square...as in all the same so rotation is possible. Offsets are from the center mounting point to how far it goes in and out from that point. On tires, you can go 28"s tall with 10"s wide all the way around with possiblely no rubbing without a lift kit (no guarantees) if you use one of the forenamed wheels and offsets. And I indicated that no change would be needed in clutch if your riding was within a certian type..but would be if that type of usage increased load.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts