·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please explain what the OD cover is and the benefits to having this

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
are you talking about the dalton overdrive cover for the primary?

If so then lighter than stock and increased top speed and claims to keep belt cooler.
but you can machine the reliefs into your stock cover and have the same thing for 1/4 the price

·
Premium Member
6,767 Posts
it also moves the cover out the same as the washer mod does.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I was to take mine to a mchine shop, what do I need to tell them or show them i want done. Is there a drawing or something that shows this or dimensions or what not?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A pic would be awesome! But I am confused on how the reliefs do the same as the washer mod. Dont the washers push the cover out and the reliefs bring the cover in or am I thinking the wrong way?

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
the washers move the cover out. The reliefs remove the material that is stopping the spider from going any further out.
here you can see the reliefs cut between the bolt holes

The other cuts are just to lighten it up some but only the reliefs give top speed increase. I havent tested this out yet so I do not know how the other holes cut are going to effect it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you are talkin about the 4 notches correct?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
after looking at a picture of the entire clutch assembly I think I know what you are talking about now. If looking at the cover laying flat, how wide do you have the reliefs machined? And you said to have the reliefs machined .100 thick right?

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
you only have about .05 left before the sheaves hit together. your can go .08 and be fine or go up to .100 and then if you decide to take some off the inside of the sheaves you will still be fine.

its about an 1.5" wide

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you currently running this setup or have you upgraded to say a vforcejohn setup. Is this similar to the VFJ stage 1 or is it far less than that

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doing this mod would be far less expensive than a VFJ I would assume? I dont know any of the pricing for those clutch mods.

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
Depends on how much your machine shop charges.

It may be the same as the stage 1 now that I think about it. The cover mod is around about 82 mph gearing, stage 2 is 87 and stage 3 is 93. But you also get some other gains from the stage 3 other than top end

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks alot for the info. I am waiting for a return e-mail from vforcejohn on pricing. I was considering taking the cover to the county tech center at the high school and have it machined there by the teacher. They usually charge little if nothing since its a teaching aid. As long as I have an idea of dimensions and what not. I'd hate to screw it up and be looking for a clutch cover though

·
Registered
282 Posts
Brute650i's is stepped off center of the hole (where the bushing is) so it is still in balance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there a chance that if I had the reliefs done, they could get it out of balance? I mean if its done just like in Brute650i's pic, it should be ok right? And I'm just talkin about the reliefs, not milling out the cover to lighten it up

·
Registered
282 Posts
It should be ok if its removed the same on each side equally. I put it in a mill indicated the center, done two sides, turned it reindicated done the other two. Doing that, the holes, and removing the bearing took alot of weight off that little piece. I weighed them before and after but i cant remember the weight of it before. Now mine weighs 8oz. I want to say it took off over 6oz. Thats alot on that little cover.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts