Mud in My Blood Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told by vforcejohn to use a comet black on my clutch when it comes back, anybody have an idea what that would be comparable to from epi, im gonna run their maroon or almond for everyday rididng, but john was telling me that a high stall would be best in the mud bog races

·
Administrator
15,446 Posts
yes a higher stall is good for races but thats it. I dont know what a comet black is though....

·
Administrator
15,446 Posts
Unless your getting into hardcore all the time pit racing, I wouldnt install one. I dont see where it would be worth it to race once or twice a year & have to put one in. However if you plan on racing a good bit then I can see it being justified.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I don't see a spring by EPI or Dalton thats comparable to the comet black. Dalton orange/blue was kinda close but still a little weaker on both stall and shift out.You here of a bunch of folks running it.

Heres the numbers i found for the Comet Black 38- ? -172

Use this link to compare http://www.mudinmyblood.net/forum/view.php?pg=kawasakiclutchspringchart

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hope to see her eat real soon, pistons valve springs and rockers went in the mail today, cams should be coming end of the week

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well my only issue at present is with running a high stall spring, once i have that nugget of info down i think il be set. i just dont know how the belts will hold up to it and if it is that great of an advantage vs possible breakage.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I would think it would have to be hard on the belt. I mean hittin 4k then dumping it has got to do some damage. I would test it out to see how many launches you get before glazing sheaves or frying the belt. Can't be too many. The most damage is done on engagement I believe. Like watching guys ride their bikes onto trailers with no tailgate. I've seen quite a few burn belts like that.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
masher... see i dont think alot of people get the idea that you dont have to have a stall

I was running a red secondary for a bit with my 31s and in some super heavy thick pancake batter I slipped it several times. If I would have had some stall I would have been much more effective. For 95 percent of my riding this yellow is tough to slip and I removed a shim so she is good and tight. If I start riding different mud that what I do now I might toss in a different primary just to help out a bit in the really thick nasty stuff. It does stink when you are in a hole and give her a little thumb and nothing happens.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was considering the maroon for the trail, or just keeping with the pink i dunno, but like i said if it comes right down to it, il just buy a few different springs and give em a whirl, guess im gonna have to finish up that mud pit for testing, lol

on a side note ive never built anything for drag that was an automatic, mine have always been standards, the current one is a 6 speed, and still street legal.....just not practical for street sometimes

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I have the VFJ Stage 3 clutch. I use the EPI maroon(recommend by John) and it works great for trail/mud.

I cant honestly comment on what would work good for racing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.