Mud in My Blood Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say this is a great site and i am enjoying taking in the knowledge. Ok sorry for the ramble but i want to describe exactly whats happening. Ok so i just bought a used 06 brute force 650 sra and i noticed while riding that my brake light (tail light) wasnt working. I bought a replacement bulb (1157) looks exactly the same with two prongs on bottom and all. Well now the brake light is staying on when i turn on the key switch. no the front light switch isnt on lol and its a real bright light so im sure its the brake light not tail. Anyway i read other posts and they said to check the switches. I spent all day checking the handlebar lever switch and foot pedal switch. Both appear to be working perfectly. this atv has obvously never been in the mud its really clean in all cracks and crevices. I used a test light and noted that the two wires going to the front and pedal switch have power running to both of them when the switch is on so i dont thank theres a short anywhere. The switch lever on the pedal pulls the switch completely out and lets it completely back in when let off, the handlebar switch clicks perfeclty when pulled. I would have to say all the wiring is good as i cant see any bad connectors or bad wires anywhere on the atv. Please help. Oh yeah and the atv will start in any gear and i dont have to tough any of the brakes to do this

·
Registered
630 Posts
did you try to Disconect the foot pedal switch or any of the others one by one

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree; start disconnecting some of the foot pedal connections one by one. You must have a short in there somewhere. I would start with the switch itself; pull it and get your meter on it to see what it is really doing.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Check your cable adjustment on your left brake lever. Had the same problem on my 08. The cable was just loose enough to where the lever would sag a little keeping the brake light on at all times, but not enough to apply the brake. I used to always leave the parking brake set so I imagine over time the cable stretched.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did on both the pedal and front lever witch. im about 99% positive the right lever is the only one with a switch besides the pedal. the left lever doesnt appear to have ever had a switch on that one. I disconnected the pedal switch completely and the light stayed on. disconnected the two wires on the lever switch and light stayed on. should both wires to both switches have constant power when switch is turned on or should just one wire to each switch have power. and thanks alot for the reply its awesome to know that you can get help from the pros at this stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and also dave i did adjust the left brake lever for rear brakes and it was loose now its nice and tight again but still light staying on. sorry guys dont wanna keep taking your time but i really want to figure out whats going on here. i am totally stumped i will put the meter on the wires tomorrow but i figured since both wires were getting power it was correct.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Your left lever has a neutral override switch type thingy. If your bike is in gear, you can pull your left lever a little bit and start the bike in gear. Try putting the bike in gear, pushing the lever forward and starting it. If the bike starts than either that switch is bad or something in that circuit has gone haywire. There is a relay in the electronics tray towards the back of the tray that you should be able to hear click when you pull the lever.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
sorry i didnt see you replied so quickly with your cable adjustment. Can you hear the relay click?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just went outside there is no click of a relay, but are you sure the 06 model has that cause i cant see anywhere that any tipe of switch is on the left hand brake lever just the right and pedal. and the bike will start any gear anytime not having to use in brake at all

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My 05 750 has the same thing on the front left brake lever.If in gear,you have to pull on the left lever for the quad to start.I've never noticed a switch or needed to look for it,but there is a circuit there somewhere

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
humm ok thanks alot guys, ill have to trace that lever from handle all the way to the rear brake tomorrow to see if thats my problem. theres definately nothing on the lever must be on the cable somewhere below the plastics or something. Ill keep you guys up to date from what i find out tomorrow so we can answer questions to guys that have this problem in the future.

·
Registered
535 Posts
humm ok thanks alot guys, ill have to trace that lever from handle all the way to the rear brake tomorrow to see if thats my problem. theres definately nothing on the lever must be on the cable somewhere below the plastics or something. Ill keep you guys up to date from what i find out tomorrow so we can answer questions to guys that have this problem in the future.
When I first got my brute the left handle brake cable was frozen. I removed the cable and the handle stayed slightly pulled causing the brake light to stay on. I had to zip tie the handle back to keep the light off. So point is YES the switch is located in the handle itself. Pull the rubber cover back and it should be pretty apparent. I'd get a pic for you but not near my bike for a while.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do you know if its in the starter switch box on the handlebar somewhere, i definately see the switch on the front brake (right lever) just for the life of me cant find the (left) rear brake lever switch and im pretty mechanically inclined. maybe its in the starter switch box somewhere. and ive pushed my brake lever out as far as i can with no luck

·
Registered
535 Posts
I honestly can't remember for sure. I don't think so. Seems like there was just a two separate wires run to the handle base under the rubber.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if anyone can check there brute tomorrow and see where this switch is on the (left) side rear brake lever and take a pic i would definately be very very tankfull. ive just traced the cable as far as i could it is a little dark but i tried and see nothing. not talking about the switch on the front brake (right) side ive already seen that one.
you guys are awesome for replying so fast

·
Registered
219 Posts
the neutral override switch is tied into the brake in general any brake lever you hit you should be able to start it in gear......you can on my 06......maybe something to do with the neutral override circuit somewhere? or something crossed around the brake circuit somewhere it is definatly your brake light on because the neutral override comes off of your brake light circuit somewhere both front and rear brake switch sends the signal you should not be able to start it in gear without being on foot brake left or right brake handle and rear hand brake is tied into the foot switch (it is only a brake light switch that sends the signal nothing addition that i know of) seems like you have yourself a good ol fashioned electrical problem.......i would say start with your brake switch wiring......you should NOT have power to both wires to either switch which ever on does would be causing your problem trace those wires back if the circuits are tied together and you have power to both wires on both switches than it will be alot tougher but test both while connected then disconnect one and test the other and then both disconnected if thats the case but more than likely you will be able to get it figured no problem....... hopefully anyways.......good luck hope you find something !!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow thanks a bunch bud. i do have power to both wires on both switches so im just gonna have to remove the plastics, trace the wires back to where ever they go and try to find a short or a bad circuit. that was definately my biggest question on the power to both wires. So im guessing the wires are touching somewhere and causing the short making the light stay on. ill let everyone know what i come up with thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
219 Posts
you bet not a problem hopefully it helps!!!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts