Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! This is my first post, but I have been a member for a little while. I enjoy all the information that the folks on this forum provide.

I have 2 Prairie 360 4x4 atv's, a 2006 and a 2007. This issue started over a year ago, and I have not found a good solution. My front cv axle (drivers side) started going bad on the 2007, so I ordered a new one and installed it. Immediately after replacing the CV axle, the seal started leaking, so I thought I may have messed the new seal up during the install. I ordered a new seal and and installed it, with the same results.....seal still leaking.

So....I started looking a little closer and comparing CV axles and looking inside the front differential housing.

In the picture below, you will see two cv axles. The one on top is the old cv axle i am replacing, and the one on the bottom

I removed "old" axle and compared to the "new" one. The new axle is the bottom one in the picture. I checked both diameters where the seal rides and they are both the same. One thing I noticed on the new axle (bottom pic).....it has "teeth" or "geared". Why does the old axle not have this? In the past, I think I've noticed that some axles have the "teeth" and some do not.

I removed the cv axle from my 06 prairie, and it does not have a geared cv axle or the geared "ring" in my left hand.

So, my question.....do I removed the "geared ring (in my hand)" if I use the geared cv axle?

Also, I checked the front diff parts diagram for a prairie, and it does not list/show the "geared ring" part?

Also, I tried removing the "geared ring" and installing the geared cv axle, this allows the cv axle to sit deeper in the differential housing and my seal quit leaking, but now I think the cv axle is binding, as it is hard to turn the atv.

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts