Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
The write up is fine, but the one thing I don't agree with is rolling the belt off of the secondary clutch because of the very good possibility of streatching your belt, Just my thoughts and advice.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I agree. Good write up on how to change/adjust the shims in a Kawie Auto trans but i would suggest to anyone reading this to not roll the belt on and off. Buy the primary puller for $35 and do it right.;)

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never done one, never made this, just saw it.
Just thought anything with pictures might help some guys out..:thinking:

·
Registered
43 Posts
how important is it to make sure they go back in the same place if you put all new rollers bushings and seals?

·
Administrator
15,423 Posts
the shims? doesnt really matter what order they go in. That's the point of them, to change different thicknesses out to get the desired belt deflection.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why would it matter if the sheaves aren't in the same spot? What would it do if the sheaves were turned lets say 180 degrees?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wondering....
to change belt, would you normally need to mess with the shims, provided your happy with the way it hooked up prior to switching with a new belt that is exactly the same size?
Belts made for bf650i are all the same, no?

·
Administrator
15,423 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Should I adjust or replace?

My Prairie 360 has 113 hours on it and belt light came on. Measured deflection is quite out of spec (1.75"). I'm leaning towards OEM belt replacement instead of trying to remove shims to take up slack. Anyone have any advice based on personal experience? I'm not interested in better performance. Mine is fast enough for the farm. I just need it to perform when needed and not slip.

·
7,433 Posts
My Prairie 360 has 113 hours on it and belt light came on. Measured deflection is quite out of spec (1.75"). I'm leaning towards OEM belt replacement instead of trying to remove shims to take up slack. Anyone have any advice based on personal experience? I'm not interested in better performance. Mine is fast enough for the farm. I just need it to perform when needed and not slip.
I have done both, replaced the belt rather then adjust it and adjusted it. If it has over 1000 miles on it I would say replace it, otherwise adjust it...if you have the tools.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks

Thanks NM. Sort of confirmed my original thoughts. I think I'm going with an OEM replacement. My only hope now is that the original shims provide me with a deflection that is in spec. I'd really rather not tear into the secondary or make/buy an additional tool if not absolutely necessary. I work on this machine way out in the country with very little resources. Thanks for the input. As loose as this belt has become, I wonder if we're doing damage by riding in high gear instead of low as we're riding slow trails. I might try to convince the family to use low gear more often to see if that will prolong belt life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts