Mud in My Blood Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to take my Primary off today to install a new primary spring. Got the impact out and braced the primary clutch and tried to loosen the bolt and no luck. I know it a reverse thread and I was turning it to the right to loosen it. I took out my breaker bar and was able to get the bolt to move some but feels more like its twisting the bolt rather then coming out. I think the previous owner over torqued the bolt when he put it in. The bike runs great with no problems at all so I have no clue what it could be.. Maybe the previous owner put locktite on the bolt for some odd reason? I am just scared of breaking the bolt off. What can I do to get it out and what kind of damage am I looking at? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Not sure how to help with this. Maybe if you could safely add some heat to the bolt it would help to loosen it up.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
What Metal Man means is you dont want to just get torch happy around your clutch. Just heat it slowly , you are trying to get the heat to penetrate deep within the bolt NOT the clutch!! I would suggest several cycles of heat dont ,get the bolt red hot, and let cool shortly before wrenching on it you will twist it for sure!! Good Luck

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Yea, heat will be my final option. There are several things I can think of that will destroy or come close to destroying my secondary but I hate to try them this close to Nats. I can always put it back together like it is and run it. I've been running it like this for 6 years now so one more Nats won't make that much difference.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Let us know if you get it off.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I went to take my Primary off today to install a new primary spring. Got the impact out and braced the primary clutch and tried to loosen the bolt and no luck. I know it a reverse thread and I was turning it to the right to loosen it. I took out my breaker bar and was able to get the bolt to move some but feels more like its twisting the bolt rather then coming out. I think the previous owner over torqued the bolt when he put it in. The bike runs great with no problems at all so I have no clue what it could be.. Maybe the previous owner put locktite on the bolt for some odd reason? I am just scared of breaking the bolt off. What can I do to get it out and what kind of damage am I looking at? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks for your time.
I just had the very simalar thing happen to, but my primary clutch removeal tool is what rung in two on me, and the only way that I was able to get the primary off was to take 1, 4lb hammer and sit it on top of the chrome shaft and then use a 2lb hammer and knock the heck of the 4lb hammer, after about 3 or 4 good hits the primary popped off, but the down side of that was it bent the chrome saft and the spiders, and I hade to replace them in order for my clutch to right again. I had even tried snatching the primary off with a chain hooked to my truck (didn't work). My suggestion, since it is your bolt and not the removal tool, is try spraying some pennatrating oil (ie, Lyquid Wrench, etc) and let it soak for a little while, if that doesn't work and it rings in two, then I would try an easy out ( if you can get one to it). Last option is the way I had to end up doing mine or the heat. Good Luck, keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Now that you mentioned that I must have had a brain fart. You could torque the puller and strike the head of it with a hammer to jar it. It would probably free it.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Now that you mentioned that I must have had a brain fart. You could torque the puller and strike the head of it with a hammer to jar it. It would probably free it.
:agreed:

That might work also, its worth a try at this point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts